The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Journey to the mounds Armor.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Journey to the mounds Armor. Empty
PostSubject: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptyFri 2 May - 19:18

There was a question as to the type and origin of his armor during that scene on another forum. Well I went through the effort to snapshot these, so I figure I might as well add it here too.
Here is a bunch of screen shots of the Chainmail from CTB.

Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003427680
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003452000
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003454080
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003456600
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003457280
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003531640
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003532240
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003554400
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003555240
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_003566880
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarianArchivesavi_000332
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySat 3 May - 6:35

Oh, and if anyone has more info on it please share.
bounz
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySat 3 May - 16:21

You mean the type of chainmail used? Its a Butcher's vest(like from meat packers or something). I seen it used a few times in movies for a substitute for authentic chain mail. It was used also in EXCALIBUR, they wore it under their waist armor.

I wanted to know where one can buy it, but never seen it for sail. This anonymous Robofan seems to be using the same type of mail:

Journey to the mounds Armor. Songkran+Water+Fight+-+018
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySat 3 May - 19:27

Where did you read/hear that is was indeed butchers mail? In one of the interviews with ron cobb he simple admits that some pieces of some of the costumes uses such "mail", but I have yet to see proof that conans armor during this scene is indeed made up of this stuff.

It really looks like a dense, large diameter, flat ring, chain. Its in large improperly fitting sections, so I think that contributes to the solid look.

If it is indeed a simple butchers mail, then it is not of any style/example I have seen presented to me. None have looked exactly like it, though some are kind of close.
Here is a retail seller of butchers armor: http://www.manulatex.fr/

Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the right ligh...
Journey to the mounds Armor. Detail_flexinox

I'd like to get an actual rock solid info on this.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySun 4 May - 3:06

Well you seemed to have found it. Wink The Butchers mail was mentioned in some interview mag someplace around.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySun 4 May - 3:59

Yea, I have that interview:
Quote :
Paul M. Sammon's interview with Ron Cobb

"I understand that Conan utilized over 3000 costumes."
"It was an incredible job. Bloomfield handled it beautifully. He executed some of my initial costume designs beautifully. Or he considerably improved them."
"did you know that the chainmail Antonelli used on certain costumes is actually used by english workmen in slaughterhouses ?"
"yes, thats an appropriate touch, don't you think? I would never know where to go to look for things like that. You rely on people who go to the damnedest places to get the most amazing things."

That just didn't seem concrete to me regarding this entire suit of armor. "used for Conan's armor" is not really the same thing as "used on certain costumes".
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySun 4 May - 19:57

Ah-hah!

I remembered this morning that there was the scene where he "buys" it while drunk with probably 5 times its value in gems.

Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_002989080
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_002995800
Journey to the mounds Armor. ConantheBarbarian1982avi_002996360

The chest does indeed have similar qualities as the butchers armor! Though the sleeves (where I based my initial thoughts from) seem like chain maybe. Notice the links in one of the photos.

Interesting stuff no doubt!
Back to top Go down
wulfgar
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptyTue 6 May - 2:21

Hi, this is my first post here, after discovering this awesome board. I have been a Conan fan ever since I was kid, my dad had Conan, Kull, and Bran books all over the house. When I was 7 the movie came out and my parents went to see it, they let me watch it on HBO and told me when to cover my eyes (sex scenes). ANYWAY.
I have always been an armour enthusiast also, having been in the SCA at one time I have even built some. The type of armor he is wearing may in fact be butchers armor, but it is very similar to lamellar. Lamellar is a series of small leather or metal lames ,plates, or "scales" laced or wired together in an overlapping fasion, very effective. If the those "scales" are attached to a leather or fabric backing it would be scale. Both of these armors are a very old style. Lamellar was very popular with warriors of the steppes, and the Romans used scale at one point calling it Lorica Plumata. The lamellar would be very appropiate for a Conan setting. mongol
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptySun 18 May - 22:24

In that shitty "First Knight" film, they also used this same butchers armor under the cuirass breast plate.. can see it on their shoulders.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptyMon 19 May - 0:53

Wow, that movie was so bad I think it gave me cancer. I doubt I could sit through it again to see it...
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2005-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. EmptyMon 19 May - 9:16

AOster wrote:
that movie was so bad I think it gave me cancer

Laughing

Great Jerry Goldsmith score, though ! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Journey to the mounds Armor.   Journey to the mounds Armor. Empty

Back to top Go down

Journey to the mounds Armor.
Page 1 of 1