The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Red Dawn

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4221
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyWed 6 Aug - 7:28

I've been watching RED DAWN, haven't seen it before. I don't like it. I find it boring, artificious. And it's so fucking long. Such a dissapointing... What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
maelstrom
Pit Fighter
maelstrom

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyWed 6 Aug - 15:18

I've never seen the whole thing either. Well, that is to say that I remember when I was in High School (over 20 years ago) a teacher had us watch it for some reason. This would not have been long after it was initially released to VHS. I just remember being bored out of my skull...I think I fell asleep about midway through the movie. I think the premise is interesting, perhaps Hollywood could do a remake...with balls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/maelstromcustoms/index.htm
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyWed 6 Aug - 15:37

Its a classic and well made movie, with excellent production value. I think its more often Europeans whom dont understand it. As its more an American movie I suppose, in the vein of "Uncommon Valor", "First Blood" and such.

I have a topic on the movie around here somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyWed 6 Aug - 17:25

maelstrom wrote:
Well, that is to say that I remember when I was in High School (over 20 years ago) a teacher had us watch it for some reason.

Ask the reason to Reagan. Laughing

Cromulus, I pretty much understand it. Trust me.

The premise is very interesting, yeah, reason why I started watching it. Problem is it doesn't work and I think it's because the ideology is so extreme that it becomes unrealistic. Too much maniqueism and one-dimensional characters, I just get bored. And I could have liked it, III World War is something we spanish have feared as something pretty possible in no more than 5 years ago. But, ey, being very honest, I can't like a movie were "bad guys" are bad because they start the war, and "good guys" are good because they are only defending their lifes. Sorry, I just don't buy that fairy tale. Less it is Conan Mr. Green of course.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyWed 6 Aug - 17:49

I think the idea was they were supposed to be like the Cozaks fighting against the Soviets. Milius re-wrote the book, so if there is a remake, have no idea what it'll be. Dont think he used much from the book according some interview around.

It was partial based on a real CIA possibility scenario. The movie itself has been cited in the US Military very often, its like in their top movies, other ones being I hear are RAMBO, CONAN and Starship Troopers. They had named a real military offensive campaign operation after the movie..was in either Afghanistan or Iraq a few years back.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyThu 7 Aug - 0:38

See, what I dislike about a movie like this is that I can't help but feeling that the really interesting part is being missed. It's like i'm watching a war conflict through the eyes of someone who is too naive, or i'm being told a story by someone who is not telling me the whole truth. As far as I know a real military training -see green berets for example, the harder of all trainings- are specialized in what guerrilla war really is: to hide, and if you are cught, resist torture and scape. Also, in the other side, torture in every imaginary way. This is the crude part of a too romantized by Hollywood -in my opinion- dirty job. Problem when you romantize too much something so crude is the product is unrealistic, and uninteresting.

I give all my respects, and I allways will, to every soldier who have the balls to risk his/her life for whatever they beliefs are. But I am VERY far away of romantizing that job. I am more interested in the real story, and the truth is that in the battlefield poetry is quickly forgotten. Once I saw a video about an old sniper from some jungle guerrilla. He shot each 10 seconds to the enemy sniper hidden somewhere in front of him, and each 10 seconds the other guy shot him back. Meanwhile, he smoked a cigarette and felt like he was doing any other kind of job like cleaning washes. It's just a job, somehow it becomes a rutine.

Romanticism in a subject like this is a tool of the goverment and I dislike that way of things being told. War is the most crude thing ever, and for respect to the men who are involved there -in the real battleground- that tales should be told a little bit more honest.

It's my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn EmptyThu 7 Aug - 1:05

Look I don't wanna talk as I really know what I'm saying as I've never been in the military but, once I had to prepare a soldier character for my work. He was a parachute. I used an old exercise based in choosing an animal and then turning it into a human being, so I choosed a hawk. I went to study hawks and met some trainers who talked me about the birds. Then I turned the bastard into a human being, and all that. I stuided a little bit of spanish parachute diary life. I invented a personality and an objective for his life, inspired in all I have worked about the hawks primal energy and the military training. Well the kind of guy I finally portrayed was so schyzo and so full of energy he could even fly... And that tought me one thing, war puts men in some kind of schyzofrenic state. And the whole thing is a crazy thing whatever you look at it. You can't romantize that, you must give things their real name. That is the honest way, as I see it.

I remember my character was also very romantic with women Razz . In fact, very NAIVE with them. And I remember that with a funny smile, and found it comic somehow because the dude was on the other side a true badass. But something I tell you, and I can be very objective as I played a character that was not me, this soldier fighted because HE NEEDED TO, patriotism and poetry was an extra but the true reason to be on the battlefield was simply he had the need of fighting and loved the adrenaline. Basic stuff. That is what a fight is about I think. Poetry comes later, and its use is dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Red Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Dawn   Red Dawn Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Dawn
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: