The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The conquers of Osric

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

The conquers of Osric Empty
PostSubject: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyWed 3 Sep - 18:03

The conquers of Osric Conand07re029nm8

This surely was a tough fucker. Some kind of conqueror ala Genghis Khan. I just thougth what are all these standarts behind the king doing, really? Then I realized they are very probably trophys.

Otherwise, why having so many symbols? Also, he has a cimmerian shield with Crom's symbol. Does that mean he beated the cimmerians, in some ancient days? Such a fucker Mr. Green

He also conquered romans, looks like.

Interesting character.

By the way, isn't that chick at right LEIA in Jabba's palace bikiny? Laughing

(Notice the mirrors surrounding Osric. Great detail touch. Maybe Osric is now so proud of himselg, ego drunk, as a symbol of his decadence? Maybe it just make the throne scenary look bigger? Sure Cobb had an reason).
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyWed 3 Sep - 23:01

He probably likes looking at himself when he screws his concubines, its about the extent of his power.

Thats supposed to be Yaro's symbolism too there at the very top. Maybe they belong to Doom, as his towers spread to all those lands according to Osric himself. Doom seems more the conqueor than Osric did in the movie, even at the beginning of the film Doom is somehow leading Vanir and maybe Picts and wiping out Cimmerians in a war of genocide.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyWed 3 Sep - 23:38

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
He probably likes looking at himself when he screws his concubines, its about the extent of his power.

SURE! I wonder why I didn't think about that by myself? Mr. Green

I supposse Osric used to be great in his old days, and these could be his dust covered memorabilia. He was called THE USURPER, so he I think wold have be a Conanian figure in his youth, taking a kingdom by his own bloody hand.

The main symbol of Zamora is a spider. It's in the back of Osric' guards, and also in the top of all the collection of standarts in the Osric palace -but it's not in the pic I posted, that image is not the complete concept art and that spider symbol is missing-. I am not sure if the spider is seen in the movie but it's in some stills I've seen. Surely a Tower of the Elephant and a marvel's giant zamorian spiders touch.

Oh and there was an elephant in a canvas, also in Osric's throne room.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyWed 3 Sep - 23:57

Yeah, Osric is the outsider of Zamora, think Germanic king in Spain or Arabia or something, as he's referred to as the "powerful Norseman". So its alluded he's some wondering king, like a proto-Conan.

Isnt Osric supposed to be almost the evil sorcerer king Tuzun Thune via "KING KULL: Mirrors of Tuzun Thune" who is surrounded by mirrors? Maybe in some sequel osric was evil too, he's got the mirrors for it? LOL!

I think suppose Yaro is like the spider, those guards belonged to him rather than Doom or Osric. But Rexor became the High Priest(2nd only to Doom) and Warrior in the film while filming. In the 2nd draft there was supposed to be a giant spider in the Tower of the Serpent which the trio pass by quickly but dont engage. Remember Yara from the short story worshiped the spider god and had the giant spider as a pet. The Elephant symbolism is supposed to be representative or homage to the evil ET Elephant god of the original yarn as we know.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyFri 17 Oct - 19:56

OK, in the 1st Draft original storyline Osric was a prisoner of his own vanity and the Mirrors(retained in the filmed movie as props there for no reason) were clearly the Mirrors of Thuzan Thune-- although he was the one who kept gazing into them until Conan eventually smashed them and freed Osric and reawakened the warrior King. The 1st Draft shows why Osric earned those standards as seen in the concept art.

Osric of the finished movie seems more a withering old coward and weakling, yet the mirrors are retained in the finished movie. The 2nd-3rd Draft this is what Osric is in the film, except he's more powerless old warrior and a prisoner in his own throne room, he redeems himself in a way when he fights his own Captain of the guard in the Cut Scenes. Interestingly enough, Milius had him in break the Mirror just before dying in one of the variants of the Death of Osric scenes--again Thuzan Thune shading and 1st Draft retainer. One has to suspect or alteast a good move wouldve been to have the Mirrors given to him by his duaghter or Yaro....this kinda storyline wouldve explained alot and added more demension.

Osric seems a name a taken from HAMLET, he was some minor dandy and behind the scenes plotting character. There are some Anglo-Saxon kings by this name, most were very unfortunate in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osric

There was also an overgrown Spider in the chamber of the Tower of Set which Conan and company battle(thus making it closer to Howard's version in the Tower of the Elephant), which was nearly deleted by the 2nd Draft, it was limited to just passing its chamber. Some things of the 1st Draft made its way into the finished movie regardless in some shape or form, which werent in the 2nd-final Drafts. A good example is Thorgrim's giant warhammer, although it was used by the man-beast, Brak.
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyMon 20 Oct - 7:23

The name Osric also appears in Howard short stories with the gael hero whose name I can't remember (I'm so old Embarassed ). But that's for background vikings characters if I am correct.
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyMon 20 Oct - 7:55

That could be. It might be Cormac Mac Art your thinking of perhaps.

Milius may of liked these stories along with Bran and Kull more than Conan. The big huge Viking man(Skull-Splitter sidekick of Cormac) with a horned helmet and giant battle axe always comes through in his CONAN scripts well up to KING CONAN. Even the use of Cormac's alternate names like Partha Mac Othna( a Bran pseudonym). Milius used a variant of the Mac/Mak in the 1st draft of CTB and one in KING CONAN(both for Pictish leaders seemingly related to Bran Mak Morn) for Conan's friends. *Many names Howard used seemed right out've Shakespeare, Prospero always comes to my mind.

In fact this Cover to the same character had reminded me of the movie:

https://conancompletist.forumactif.com/conan-the-barbarian-f3/vanir-and-mongol-helmet-t855.htm?sid=2afed7807c9a368f06712682c8038ffd
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyMon 20 Oct - 10:07

Chrysagon wrote:
The name Osric also appears in Howard short stories with the gael hero whose name I can't remember (I'm so old Embarassed ).

Come on, Chrysagon! The correct answer is in the "Lion's Share" article you wrote for us:

http://www.conancompletist.com/EN/popup/lapartlion08.htm

Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyMon 20 Oct - 10:41

You see, I have memory problems it seems.... :/
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyMon 20 Oct - 19:31

We're only human. Wink

Skull-Splitter was a red-head, maybe this was to have been Red-Hair of the movie? Milius(and Stone)seemed intent on making Conan aided by other Howard characters in some shape or form. But if El Borak was used for Brak in name inspiration alone, this probably strays from it some.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyTue 21 Oct - 7:45

coming in late here: I always figured thatthe standards wern't his. He was a Usurper after all....

I always saw redhair as the same one who crimped conan to the wheel in the beginning. His release from captivity a sort of remorse.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric EmptyTue 21 Oct - 18:26

Yeah you know, I m sure many thought that was young Red Hair looking down at boy Conan at the Wheel and two of them kinda bonded at that moment--it always seemed implied their was a father/son relationship between the two this is later strongly hinted at during the "release from captivity" sequence with the line, "Go your free".

Conan seemed to have picked up some surrogate father's along the way, Red Hair, Osric and even Doom.

AOster, yeah in your 1st Draft its mentioned that Osric usurped the throne and was only King for some 30 years. Milius gives a date for the Atlanean king, he was to have been there some 10,000 years before Conan found the tomb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The conquers of Osric   The conquers of Osric Empty

Back to top Go down

The conquers of Osric
Page 1 of 1