The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cult of Set DAGGER

Go down 
+2
Flaming Turd
vzd963
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptySun 29 Aug - 14:25

Have you seen this? They call it the Fangs Of The Serpent. Is there a dagger such as this in my daughter's hand for ME?

Cult of Set DAGGER Daggerx

Does anyone know the exact measurements of this dagger? I'm talking to a guy about making one for me (out of wood, which I'll paint), and he points out that the Marto replica is referred to on various sites as being 39cm long AND 58cm long. I know the Marto is only approximately correct anyway. so... any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4221
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptySun 29 Aug - 22:47

I had a real one in my hands. I mean a REAL one, a real prop of the ones made for the movie. It was made in aluminium and was pretty light. Size was huge, though, even bigger than appeared on screen. Right now I cannot say the exact size but I would say 39 cm is not long enough... So I would rather go into 50 cm or so (maybe more).
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyMon 30 Aug - 17:48

Tell me! Tell me when, where, how... tell me all about it... tell me!!! Or tell us - I know you hate ME - but tell US! TELL US!
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyMon 30 Aug - 19:05

Calm down man Laughing Proto and Mighty told me they were to publish an article I wrotte about that, with pictures included, I hope they post that one soon. Wink
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyTue 31 Aug - 17:05

Being a genius, I've worked out a reasonable way of getting the size right - I've blown up a photo of the Marto replica and cut it out. Do you think this looks right? Or maybe very slightly larger?

Cult of Set DAGGER Picture3dl

Cult of Set DAGGER Picture4kc

Cult of Set DAGGER Picture5fd

Cult of Set DAGGER Dscf8034

Cult of Set DAGGER Dscf8029

Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyTue 31 Aug - 23:33

Hm I would say it's a pretty close size to reality, but I cannot be 100% accurate. Still, it looks fairly close to me.

In any case, the shots from the movie with Osric are kinda tricky, the angle won't let the dagger look in its real size but if you see the hand of the king, you will see it's way bigger than a dagger or a knife. As said, when I saw the prop I was amazed on how different it looked from the impression I had of it from the film. In the film it looks like a thin dagger, but it's not, it's more like a very short sword -or maybe one of Rambo's really huge knives-. So, yeah that Marto looks like a pretty close size to me.

Hope this helps! Wink
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyWed 1 Sep - 23:32

One thing that always bothered me, they never really showed off the weapons much nor for long, even the father's sword making and riddle was shortened.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 0:44

Hm you know what, now that I see it I would say it looks a little too stylized. I remember it being not so thin, but way wider than that. Also, the "fangs" are a little too long.

vzd963 wrote:
Do you think this looks right? Or maybe very slightly larger?

Cult of Set DAGGER Picture3dl

So, as a special present, here there is a photo of the real movie prop. Wink It's made on aluminion and screen-used. My hand couldn't cover the grip entirely, so with that you can imagine the size. You can see it's way wider, and the blade is also shorter than your pic. I think if you just crompress the print your did a little, then you'll got something pretty close to the real thing.

Cult of Set DAGGER DSCN0431

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
One thing that always bothered me, they never really showed off the weapons much nor for long, even the father's sword making and riddle was shortened.

Man you'd be amazed of knowing how many weapons they created specially for the movie, with pretty unique designs, wich were actually shown only for half a second on-screen, or didn't even shown at all.

The article I made has a lot of photos and info, I hope it gets published soon. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 13:49

Mr Turd, you are definitely the greatest man who has ever lived!

I will get your brilliant photo to the man who is going to be making this for me. I'll put new photos up when I can.

Oh - is that crocodile/lizard/snake skin on the handle?

Thank you/gracias/diolch yn fawr, danke, go raibh maith agat.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 13:56

vzd963 wrote:
Mr Turd, you are definitely the greatest man who has ever lived!

I will get your brilliant photo to the man who is going to be making this for me. I'll put new photos up when I can.

Oh - is that crocodile/lizard/snake skin on the handle?

Thank you/gracias/diolch yn fawr, danke, go raibh maith agat.

Well you mean "THE GREATEST TURD WHO HAS EVER LIVED", don't you. Mr. Green

yeah that's supposed to be reptilian skin, but I don't think it was real. It felt like old leather.

Also, note the serpents heads are kinda different in the original than Marto's.
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 15:24

I am now building a tall tower here dedicated to the Cult of Turd.

"Turds! In my beautiful city! Is there a turd such as this in my daughter's hand for ME?"
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 18:47

Now that would make an awesome bizarre movie. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
CROM !!!
Anonymous

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 2 Sep - 21:14

Arnold Schwarzenegger say's that he still has one of those in the Commentary on "Conan The Barbarian" DVD.
(Yes,i watched it again twice in one day last weekend!!!)

Conan
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyFri 3 Sep - 14:32

I have a silver Marto version. When I compared it to Albion's $1000 one, I just couldn't justify not getting it. Though the lines are a little off, and the size is different, I still love it! I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I wasn't such a perfectionist. It would pass any casual observation as an exact match IMHO. But most of all, having handled and owned real props before, I personally am often disappointed in the quality and shape of them. I really prefer how Marto gave it a "polish" and cleaned up the lines and angles. props aren't supposed to be perfect and they show it. Wink
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyFri 3 Sep - 19:33

Thanks to Mr Turd's very generously posting that photo, here is a same-height comparison of the Marto replica and the screen-used prop.

Cult of Set DAGGER Martoscreenusedcomparis
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyTue 13 Mar - 21:00

The BAD news: The man who was making the wooden dagger for me has FAILED! It was a good idea, but he couldn't do it.

The GOOD news: Marto reproduction daggers on Ebay cost about $360.00 (USA), £230.00 (English), €275.00 (Europe). Now, I know that the Marto dagger is not 100% accurate, but it's still pretty good. I just looked on the website of a company called Battle Orders in England (http://www.battleorders.co.uk/) - I bought a Marto Atlantean sword from them a couple of years ago at a good price. They are selling silver or bronze coloured daggers for £75.00 (English). $117.00 (USA), €90.00 (Europe). I talked to the guy there today - they are real Martos - Marto has lost the licence to make "Conan" replicas so Battle Orders bought quite a few. So I ordered one! They will charge packing and postage, of course, but that is still a very good price.

I should receive mine in a couple of days, and I'll tell you if there are any problems.

If you want one, get in there quick - go to the website and put CONAN DAGGER into the search box - I think that at these prices, they will sell out - and then there will only be Ebay!
Back to top Go down
clutch
Pictish Scout
clutch

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyWed 14 Mar - 0:55

Talk on www.thereplicapropforum.com of doing one of these daggers. The same guy who's doing the Dragonslayer amulet.
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyThu 15 Mar - 17:50

The people on replicapropforum are great - they are all craaaaaaazzzzy, but they think that they're completely normal!

Dagger arrived today - in a fine wooden box with a slide-open lid - a very handsome thing, well worth the money.

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodaggerinbox
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptySun 25 Mar - 21:35

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodagger01small

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodagger02small

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodagger03small

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodagger04small

Cult of Set DAGGER Conanmartodagger05small
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyMon 26 Mar - 19:09

Dagger looks really nice. I am tempted to get one for myself though admit i prefer the look of the real one more.
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyMon 26 Mar - 20:59

You can pick up pieces of cheese with it at banquets - two at a time!!!!
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyTue 27 Mar - 10:54

I bet it would be good for toasting marshmallows to. Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyTue 27 Mar - 11:33

Also particularly useful for getting wax out of both ears at the same time... if you have a fairly narrow head.
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER EmptyFri 30 Mar - 13:28

Great for those stubborn nose bogeys to. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cult of Set DAGGER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult of Set DAGGER   Cult of Set DAGGER Empty

Back to top Go down

Cult of Set DAGGER
Page 1 of 1