WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shoulder/Waist scabbard from '82 movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Swordguy
Pictish Scout

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Shoulder/Waist scabbard from '82 movie   Wed 7 Dec - 16:36

I'm fascinated by the scabbard Arnold uses; that it can be worn both over the shoulder and strapped around the waist. You see him slide the strap off his shoulder and tighten it around his waist just as they're about to attack the Orgy chamber.

In the commentary portion of the DVD, Arnold mentions that Milius had it made to work both ways, which tells me it was an actual working model, not just trickery for the camera.

Does anyone have any insight or information on how the scabbard was constructed?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Axe
Pictish Scout

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: thoughts on the scabbard   Thu 12 Jan - 16:03

Hi, from what I know of swords and scabbards it's likely that all they did was have the loops directly attached to the back of the scabbard instead of have the scabbard hang like a regular western style sword, that way they can either extend a single loop so it's more of a sleeve the belt can run through, separate the usual two loops further, or even add loops down most of the scabbard. That way when it's on his back it sits diagonally, rather than hang straight down, and if you notice, when it's on his waist it sticks out backwards almost like a katana does.

Which would tie in with the ia-do training he apparently underwent for the role.

The belt is just longer than normal so it fits across chest as well as waist
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Shoulder/Waist scabbard from '82 movie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1