The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camouflage war paint

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Camouflage war paint Empty
PostSubject: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyThu 20 Sep - 22:35

Hi

One day, a very long time ago, I read somewhere that the war paint camouflage design that the trio uses when they are going to rescue the lsd princess was inspired in some real "can'trememberwhat" design.

The article said that Millius and Cobb (I guess) where both huge maquette fans, and they used the painting of an old model of tank or war plane, maybe from WWII, which had that same black and white camouflage paint.

Does anybody know, which model of whatever it could be?
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyThu 20 Sep - 22:59

I know that Gerry Lopez briefly talks about this subject in the "Conan Unchained" documentary on the CE DVD, but I don't remember him being very specific - other than Milius probably got the camouflage idea from painting war planes maquettes (a passion both he and Lopez apparently shared)...

Another mention is made in one of the old Cinefantastique articles, I think, where Cobb explains that the body painting on Conan and his friends was originally "green and brown patterns" (I guess very much like the original maquettes painting?) but then Milius thought it looked too modern and designed/opted for the final KISS-like version we all know...

Pictish Scout

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyMon 29 Oct - 15:48

Clearly that scene, even in its dreamlike quality owes much to Willard's emerging from the water with a camouflaged face in Apocalypse,another Milius script.
This scene has it all,it's the epitome of all things barbarian:Frazetta pillar,chained nude beauty,an orgy,beastmen,snakes,caverns,oiled up nude bodies,cut up bodies,a panther,fire and smoke,lurid colors and a cauldron.And some truly inspired mythic and sinister and ponderous queues/chorals by Basil.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyMon 29 Oct - 17:40

Yeah, it is a wonderful scene. It would have been even better of they actually kept that leopard in there fighting Brak,haha. I also cant help but wonder if some of that inspiration came from, I think it was Diodorus Siculus's accout that , Leonidas and a handfull of his best men led a valiant commando-style night attack on the Persian camp and even came close to killing Xerxes himself in the royal tent.
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyMon 29 Oct - 17:56

The escape scene was also heavily simplified in the movie (for budgetary reasons, I guess?). The version featured in Milius' 2nd draft is way better!

Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyMon 29 Oct - 18:31

Yeah probably, for much the same reason the lion scene was altered and cut out. The 3rd Draft is nearly completely identical there, except the name Rexor was inserted, replacing the name Brak.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint EmptyTue 9 Dec - 1:47

http://cmulrooney.tripod.com/milius.html

That page say the reference for the warpaint was the dancer Vaslav Nijinsky as "the faun":

Camouflage war paint Ufp-nijinsky-as-faun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaslav_Nijinsky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afternoon_of_a_Faun_(Nijinsky)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage war paint   Camouflage war paint Empty

Back to top Go down

Camouflage war paint
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: