WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
conan_collector
Pit Fighter


Number of posts : 70
Age : 44
Localisation : Stockholm, Sweden
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sat 22 Oct - 10:14

Blinkstr wrote:
For all you Manowar haters here, I just want you to know Manowar was around playing bars from 80-82 well before Conan The Barbarian came out and Manowar were already using the viking-look. Their song Secret of Steel is also referencing Viking beliefs in the power of steel. Im not saying the werent referencing the movie, but they use that phrase a lot and they are more heavily influenced by viking religion than Conan.


From Manowar.com * The first metal band to include sword & sorcery imagery in both their lyrics and
on their album covers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SE82
Pictish Scout


Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sun 20 Nov - 21:28

KNIGHTMARE (Australlia/Power Metal)- "The Conan Saga" - refers to the story of the film. Includes the lyric "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you" and also includes a quote from Poledouris (the "anvil of crom", and the main theme from a 1984 film that stars a shirtless character played by Schwarzenegger), but it's brief and without vocals. It's actually much better and more epic than Domine's "Aquilonia Suite"

SOLSTICE (UK/doom) - "Cimmerian Codex". It's about REH.

Doomsters THE GATES OF SLUMBER have devoted a few tracks to works by REH, including an epic 16+ titled "Dark Valley Suite" and a track titled "The Riders of Doom"

DOOMSWORD (IT/epic doom). They have a track titled "Days of High Adventure"

There's more. Conan and REH are popular in metallers :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Fri 25 Nov - 13:06

conan_collector wrote:
Blinkstr wrote:
For all you Manowar haters here, I just want you to know Manowar was around playing bars from 80-82 well before Conan The Barbarian came out and Manowar were already using the viking-look. Their song Secret of Steel is also referencing Viking beliefs in the power of steel. Im not saying the werent referencing the movie, but they use that phrase a lot and they are more heavily influenced by viking religion than Conan.


From Manowar.com * The first metal band to include sword & sorcery imagery in both their lyrics and
on their album covers.

There are some particular details wich were undeniably taken specifically from the CTB movie, and something that always surprised me was the band never EVER mentioned the movie as inspiration. Why?

Well, of course I haven't read every Manowar interview, so, do you know if they actually mentioned it. At least once? Or Conan, as a character? Or REH?- It's really strange they never mention his name. At least I think it is.

Many other bands mentioned here have no problem on admiting they took from the Milius' movie or from the Conan comics or tales.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conan_collector
Pit Fighter


Number of posts : 70
Age : 44
Localisation : Stockholm, Sweden
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sat 26 Nov - 8:58

Flaming Turd wrote:
conan_collector wrote:
Blinkstr wrote:
For all you Manowar haters here, I just want you to know Manowar was around playing bars from 80-82 well before Conan The Barbarian came out and Manowar were already using the viking-look. Their song Secret of Steel is also referencing Viking beliefs in the power of steel. Im not saying the werent referencing the movie, but they use that phrase a lot and they are more heavily influenced by viking religion than Conan.


From Manowar.com * The first metal band to include sword & sorcery imagery in both their lyrics and
on their album covers.

There are some particular details wich were undeniably taken specifically from the CTB movie, and something that always surprised me was the band never EVER mentioned the movie as inspiration. Why?

Well, of course I haven't read every Manowar interview, so, do you know if they actually mentioned it. At least once? Or Conan, as a character? Or REH?- It's really strange they never mention his name. At least I think it is.

Many other bands mentioned here have no problem on admiting they took from the Milius' movie or from the Conan comics or tales.

Rexor Ask Joey and you will get the answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sat 26 Nov - 13:43

Hey! Any interviews that you know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conan_collector
Pit Fighter


Number of posts : 70
Age : 44
Localisation : Stockholm, Sweden
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sat 26 Nov - 14:17

Flaming Turd wrote:
Hey! Any interviews that you know?

Just a little from Destroyer


At the end of the film classic Conan The Destroyer, the title character sits on his throne. Though his thick muscles bear the scars of his many hard-fought battles, his steel-eyed gaze over his vast kingdom shows how proud and mighty he remains. His enemies vanquished, the challengers to his throne dispatched, it is time for the triumphant king to rest.

- Joey DeMaio, during a 2006 interview with Rock Hard Magazine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sun 27 Nov - 13:44

Great, that is an awesome find! thumleft
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 20 Dec - 2:49

Shocked


"CLASH OF THE TITANS 2" with SWEET DREAMS by MARILYN MANSON.


... Just need to watch and hear. foufou





"I wanna use you, and abuse you"...... Sounds like the very producers speaking directly to me as audience.


These people on Holywood are so wrong they seem to have no choice but epic ridicule... so epic is not even funny (i fee shame for them as human beings, honestly)


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Wed 8 Feb - 2:22

Yeahhhh!


Back to top Go down
View user profile
VoreLord
Pictish Scout


Number of posts : 12
Age : 47
Localisation : USA
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Thu 16 Feb - 22:40

My band VORE has written several songs inspired by the 1982 Milius Conan film, along with Excalibur and many others.

On our latest album Gravehammer, we recorded our own "DOOM" chant using about six people layering several takes....





Here's our album cover, by the artist Daarken:





You can visit our website here: http://www.vore.org
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vore.org
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Sat 14 Apr - 22:35

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flaming Turd
Vanir


Number of posts : 3995
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Fri 20 Apr - 6:32

VoreLord wrote:
My band VORE has written several songs inspired by the 1982 Milius Conan film, along with Excalibur and many others.

Thanks a lot, Vorelord. thumleft
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Othnar
Pit Fighter


Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 26 Feb - 20:39

Hi here is the link for a new track I have written and recorded for my one man self styled 'Black Crust Satanic War Metal' band -NEMAIN. I play everything myself. Not to the greatest of ability but hopefully you'll get a kick out of it. The song is called "Dark Tormentor "and it's about a bad ass son of a b$*ch who wanders the land taking women and seizing thrones by the might of his sword arm. I hope you enjoy it. If not- then to hell with you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2c2DsuNBs&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:04

Hope this link was not posted already? http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012/05/by-this-axe-i-headbang/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:13

Quartz Stand and Fight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:16

Virgin Steele Noble Savage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:22

Burning Star Land Of The Dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:32

ManOWar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:35

Sacred Steel War Gods
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:40

Molly Hatchet Beating the Odds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:43

Alabama ThunderPussy Open Fire
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:50

Amon Amarth Surtur Rising
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:51

Dangiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 1:55

Exmortus Slave To The Sword
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nerd alert
Vanir


Number of posts : 1518
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Tue 15 Jul - 2:46

Gates Of Slumber Conqueror
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982   Today at 10:09

Back to top Go down
 
Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Metal bands inspired by CONAN 1982
» CONAN inspired swords on this PS1 game
» Fan Site Conan 1982
» CONAN THE BARBARIAN soundtrack (Poledouris)
» La filosofía de Conan, el bárbaro

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: