The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

REH and the fevered ego

Go down 
+2
Cromulus The Destroyer
Flaming Turd
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4221
Registration date : 2007-08-28

REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Mar - 1:28

Cinefantastique Vol 12 -issue 2/3 (1982)

Quote :
- In the last issue we ran on CONAN I quoted you as saying you were glad the die-hard fans weren't making the film.

RON COBB- Oh boy, yeah. They would have made a lukewarm, predictable, orthodox film. They'd faithfully recreate the stories over and over and over. Fan mentality, to a large extent, has a great love of ortho­doxy, everything has to be the way the author meant it to be. There is a hatred of creativity and a tremen­dous admiration for stability and that's very unchallenging. How­ard kept his stories consistent, but they also had a vitality that a fan wouldn't particularly appreciate. Fans only appreciate that the vital­ity had been created; they'd want to relive it and replay it like a record. But to reinvigorate Conan with new vitality, with new creativity, would, I imagine, disturb them. Milius emulates Howard while infusing him with a whole new direction.

REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 Asjul-1
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Mar - 10:00

Yeah, thats a pretty accurate piece from Cobb. Stout said something similiar around too. Milius' Conan probably shouldve been a bit more closer to Howard's version , he was perhaps softened a bit much, but it was an origin film, so we cant really judge it as the true trilogy wasnt created so the character wouldve evolved some to a more veteran warrior--Conan in the first movie was young and more naive. Milius to to make him more human rather than super-human per Howard strict view, is clearly for believability and for the general target audience. Howard's Conan was bascially Marv from "Sin City", and as much as I love that kinda characterization, it is perhaps WAY over the top obviously. I wouldnt mind though a more Frazetta and Howard version of CONAN, but its doubtful that would ever be put on camera..even Hellboy was alterated to make it more commercial and for a larger audience, so they added in love plots softening and all of that kinda thing.

But I rather liked Arnold portrayal of Kalidor, thats probablymuch more Howardian CONAN.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptySat 7 Mar - 23:54

For the first time in almost a year I went over and read some of the topics at Conan.com.... quite the angsty bunch I have to say. Lot's of misquotes to make us look bad and more than a few just plain outright insults. There are the usual brutes poking their meaty fingers our way with threads relating to this forum. It's nice to see one's views of a populace demonstrated for you with out having to lift a finger.... It sure cured my interest in how things were over there for the next year as well. tristme

Last edited by AOster on Sun 8 Mar - 4:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar - 0:33

There was some kinda ruckuss here because of them trolling a few weeks back.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar - 4:11

Yea, I actually saw someone there post that he was going to come over here and cause a fuss. It's like a gang of thugs over there. One person spots a shift from the sacred and everyone jumps in to gangbang. I love how many times they mention how accepting they are, but right away state how much they despise us. foufou Then the statements of how much they accept the movie followed by how much they hate anyone who likes it... scratch
I know it's only about 5 members over there who live on their computers and can't understand the thought that a post in on a forum might actually not refer to them or their ideas. The same people jumping in and curb stomping members over and over. I really don't get why it's allowed to go on there. They get miffed because we allow curse words, but then member bashing is ok apparently. Shit

Well, we can't all be upstanding members of society... if we were all equally good there would be no a-holes to thereby contrast ourselves by would there? study
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4221
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar - 5:00

AOster wrote:
Yea, I actually saw someone there post that he was going to come over here and cause a fuss.

Well, they took this as a call of arms. Literally. Which is what is funny and scary at the same motherfucking time.

But it's what they were looking for, because from one thousand words they took two and ignored the rest. With those two, they have a reason to come over here and pee all over the place. Allright, you wanted to fight, dude, not to argue, not to discuss, not to say "I agree with that, I disagree with that". Just peeing. Cool. Come and pee. Then come back to your town and tell everyone how you peed here. You are the pee hero.

But that is not a fight.

If you come here with a true personality, saying what you think, face to face, that is bravery.

Otherwise is another thingy with another name.

You fly over a place, throw bombs of shit, and come back home. "HI MUM; WE WON THE WAR. HAHA".

What war, dude? A war is when TWO armies fight against each other.

Otherwise it's a THINGY WITH ANOTHER NAMEEEEE.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar - 5:39

Lol... drunken you ok there? I think it's all over now, so I'd let it go. I just was surprised how much i saw there this morning and how it just reasserted to me why i logged out for good so long ago. There were about four members who seemed to follow my posts looking to snipe in every time. They're the same people continuing to throw their weight around now. We don't want to look equally "low brow" (I think that's the term the used...).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REH and the fevered ego   REH and the fevered ego - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

REH and the fevered ego
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: