The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) Empty
PostSubject: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptySun 20 Sep - 6:02

Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) Nakadaiharakiri450vo1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harakiri_(1962_film)
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyTue 22 Sep - 11:24

Interesting, looks like Wolverine there too. Laughing

* I just managed to find the CONAN THE GLADIATOR figurine by NECA at the local Toys R Us yesterday. Rexor
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyTue 22 Sep - 16:22

Which one, the first one or the furry version? rabbit
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyTue 22 Sep - 16:51

Series 2 version, one with this fur attire. Rather surprised to find this locally.
Back to top Go down
AOster
Turanian War Officer
AOster

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyFri 20 Nov - 4:09

Great film though. I have a good three shelves of Japanese films on my DVD rack. I love the ambiance of the old black and white films. They have such presence, and when taken hand in hand with the political and economical situations that were changing at the time these films were made, one can really get a sense of post war mentality. Especially when you compare them with pre-war and wartime films.

It seems strange to think that so much can be reflected in historic set films, but the stories and characters really do reflect the people's mental and emotional burdens of the time. (time of filming that is, not time of storyline)
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyFri 20 Nov - 13:20

Totally agree. And it's something i'm actually very interested in, to tell the truth.

In a very explicit example, the other day I was reading some article about "Godzilla" and all the great symbolism it had, and the huge differences in comparison with "King Kong": while Kong is an imported item to capitalize which ends terribly wrong (crack of the 29?), Godzilla is an offensive to Japan (atomic bomb).

It would be highly interesting to examine CTB under that light. study bounce
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) EmptyFri 20 Nov - 18:29

study bounce An interesting example I just found:

Hippism in the 60's, claiming for life in community, with absolute peace and love and so, found its dark opposite with the figure of Charles Manson who not only assassinated but also had plans to destroy the entire western civilization. He represented the darkest side of hippism and related it with dirty murders, crazyness and conspiracy plans.

Manson was the "proof" hippies could be "bad".

Now... ALL THAT was Thulsa-Doom and his cult. :doom:

The figure of Manson served to erradicate Hippism right after being born. It's shadow perdured during the 80's as the movie shows. It's not a surprise Milius never sympathized with Hippism (at least as a movement, though he and his surfer pals were strongly anti-system and actually very proto-punk). Milius always liked some cultural movements of the West coast like the music of THE DOORS (though is truth the Doors never were kind of "happy hippies")
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)   Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962) Empty

Back to top Go down

Gladiator salute in "Harakiri" (1962)
Page 1 of 1