The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Renato Casaro's poster influence?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4221
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Empty
PostSubject: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyFri 7 Sep - 16:56

I found this in an article about movie posters:

The Conan cliché has been parodied in past movie posters by the very artists who created this genre of illustration in the first place. For example, the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie poster (illustrated by Renato Casaro) was a straight forward depiction of “King Conan”.

I don't know what it means. Is the poster of Casaro inspired by/based on some poster or illustration called "King Conan"? From which artist? I searched for Boris Vallejo, but no art from him is called like that. Frazetta? No, no "King Conan" in Frazetta world.

Anybody knows?

Here's the article, boys: http://www.posterwire.com/archives/2007/03/05/king-of-the-mountain/

foufou
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyFri 7 Sep - 17:57

Quote :
For example, the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie poster (illustrated by Renato Casaro) was a straight forward depiction of “King Conan”.

The way I understand it is: when doing the '82 poster, Casaro did a non-parodic version of the "King" (of the Mountain) / "Conan" (the Barbarian) pose. (I don't think the author meant: Casaro did a parodic version of another painting called "King Conan") study

Nice find though! thumleft

I like this version alot:

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Thumb-aqua_teen
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyFri 7 Sep - 22:05

Looks like John Milius in that poster. Conan
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 10:42

A major influence on the official Casaro poster probably was this Frazetta painting...

Renato Casaro's poster influence? ConanB01_20

...kind of mixing it with that other one we already mentioned in another thread:

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Ffcolr64qa0
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 16:51

Yeah, also Renato has in his collection in Roma, a rare un-used CONAN poster he made, which has that Norem-like quality, like it was from "Savage Sword of CONAN" comic-magazine. Its an awesome poster,my buddie Chris(Red Hair from TAF) always wants to know if we came across a larger picture of that awesome poster. Not sure if we can post that image here, without getting sued though. For some reason its top secret, haha.
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 17:16

You mean this one?

http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/D01/conan_D01_010.jpg

Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 17:29

The very same. thumleft

Norem's (though not sure on the dates of these):

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Norem1

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Norem3

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Earl%20Norem%20SSOC%2055%20cover
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 17:54

This Turkish art mag

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Gskapak
http://www.cizgiroman.gen.tr/haber/225

apparently did some feature article on Casaro (back in 2001), and if you look closely on this photo from the inside of the mag, you can glimpse a b&w version of the same unused design, and also another one (bottom left):

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Gentsanat83847tv

Too bad I never could manage to get my hands on this mag! (or, at least, on a bigger version of these two very rare artworks) Mad
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 18:01

Why doesn't he allow those images to be released already? Not even on his own website can they be found, but only on some obscure website and Turkish magazine. Seriously WTF gives?! can never understand that shit, its sorta like Milius never releasing a Extended cut of Conan, but yet pulls that Moby Dick scene outve his ass for the halfassed C.E. DVD, like to cash in on the "Gladiator" release, like they ever needed to.. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

I dont trust Universial anyway, footage was lost, lies.
_________

BTW, there's some guy by the name of Mike Hoffman, who hates Frazetta seemingly with a passion.

http://www.mikehoffman.com/weblogsep06.html
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 19:05

Cromulus, the Norem art was painted before the movie. I think it's dated 197X something.

It's amazing how the Norem's face of Conan looks so similar to Schwarzenegger, specially in the first picture. Don't you think?

I used to think he was inspired by the terminator in the depiction of his Conan, but he wasn't as he painted those years before Arnold was chosen as the actor who would portray him.

Anyway I know -I will talk about it in an article i'm preparing- that Arnold was in mind of people as a possible choice for a possible future movie, in the 70's.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyThu 20 Sep - 23:42

Flaming Turd wrote:
Cromulus, the Norem art was painted before the movie. I think it's dated 197X something.

It's amazing how the Norem's face of Conan looks so similar to Schwarzenegger, specially in the first picture. Don't you think?

I used to think he was inspired by the terminator in the depiction of his Conan, but he wasn't as he painted those years before Arnold was chosen as the actor who would portray him.

Anyway I know -I will talk about it in an article i'm preparing- that Arnold was in mind of people as a possible choice for a possible future movie, in the 70's.

Turd, there is some similarity involved, though the artwork I think is more ruggedly handsome, Arnold I dont think is that well facially harmonious, he had some work done on his face over the years too to look more masculine, and he always tried imitating Clint Eastwoods facial expressions, which may have been done cause Milius told him too.

My choice for CONAN wouldve been Steve Reeves, whom Arnold was insanely jealous and envious of, cause Reeves had the looks as well as body and success. Arnold used to tell people he idolized Reg Park and mocked Reeves(sorta pulling Muhammad Ali shit on TV), but the reality was, it was always Reeves.

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Reeves

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Reeves

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Steve-reeves

*In the "Giant of Marathon" film, Reeves throws the sword like a spear into a warrior on horseback, essentially something like they did on Conan the Barbarian" the Battle of the Mounds/Axe throw and more blatantly in "Conan The Destroyer", the Crystal Palace/Toth Amon death.

Interestingly enough, in the movie scripts, Conan was described as lantern jawed and Black haired. Wonder why they never dyed his hair black?
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptyFri 21 Sep - 18:58

These ones have the Conan poster look/feel too:

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Frank_frazetta_1

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Frazetta1set

EDIT (Protoplasme) : https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img91/4521/frankfrazettaaprincessojc0.jpg
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptySat 22 Sep - 19:41

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Frankfrazettabloodstonecb8
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptySat 22 Sep - 20:49

Yeah, again Stout re-used the Frazetta sword blade here:

Renato Casaro's poster influence? Ctd003

Wonder why he never drew Conan with his trademark Atlantean sword for? Stout released very few of his CONAN material for part 1 and part 2, even on his own website its lacking.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptySun 23 Sep - 2:14

I just saw that Mike Hoffman page, and... shit.

Shocked

Is he serious, or what?

My god.

HE IS A FRAZETTA CLONE, and acusses Frazetta of copying?????????

That guy must be a joker, it just can't be serious. If it is, man, he is really fucked up. Poor asshole.

Look at this:

(Talking about Scarface) "The kind of anti-human, piece-of-shit heroes (or
father-figures) kids are saddled with today".

... First, since when Scarface is a kiddie movie for children feel related to?

Second... Man... YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SHOULD CHECK OUT YOUR PROBLEMS WITH YOUR FATHER FIGURE. Smells like "autoritarian father who didn't gave me the chance to develop my artistic skills so I had no choice but COPYING the style of a true artist who now I try to devalue in order to not feeling so piece of trash as I know am".

Not only you, every one with EYES knows this guy eats shit.

"13 reason why i'm better than Frazetta".

Lol, who did he wrotte that list for... HIS MOM???????? LOOOOOOOOl

Lol. People is crazy.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? EmptySun 23 Sep - 6:15

HAHA, yo check this guys's CONAN out, Shocked

I cant believe he's serious either, but I recently seen a few of his web pages trolling Frazetta, dont have a clue though who he is.

Renato Casaro's poster influence? HoffmanMike_conansonja_wawnet

When that word pastiche was invented, they mustve had this guy in mind. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renato Casaro's poster influence?   Renato Casaro's poster influence? Empty

Back to top Go down

Renato Casaro's poster influence?
Page 1 of 1