The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Skeleton

Go down 
+6
Einar
Flaming Turd
Cromulus The Destroyer
Protoplasme
Chrysagon
Nexus6
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 1:08

Is Crom the skeleton in the cave?
Conan's father tells Conan, Crom lives in the Earth and when the skeleton moves when Conan takes his sword, Conan says ''Crom''.

Back to top Go down
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: CROM PS2 game   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 1:23

I think it would be cool if a CROM PS2 game was made with the voice a famous hollywood actor. I think Sean Connery would make a excellent choice for the voice of Crom.
Back to top Go down
Nexus6
Rider of Doom
Nexus6

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2007-05-11

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 2:09

It's my understanding that the remains in the crypt are that of an Atlantean King or General. Also, he looks to be a giant. Compare the skeleton's size to that of Conan's, including how big the sword looks in the skeleton's hands compared to Conan's...

And Conan's use of the word "Crom" is akin to cursing (or taking his god's name in vain). It's just an exclamation, imo.
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 8:26

Totally with Nexus. If you look to the tomb you will see a representation of Atlantis behind the skeleton on the wall. The Sword (Basil Poledouris score is named "Atlantean Sword") shows also the sinking of Atlantis. This part is inspired from a short story by Sprague de Camp giving the Atlantean origin of the tomb and content.
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
Protoplasme
Admin
Protoplasme

Number of posts : 14916
Registration date : 2004-09-10

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 8:35

http://www.conancompletist.com/EN/crypte01.htm

The Skeleton ConA5_06

http://www.conancompletist.com
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 19:46

When i first saw CONAN, i honestly thought the skeleton was Crom. It could had been him.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: CROM PS2   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 19:48

Still i think a CROM PS2 game would be good.
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 20:13

Crom is supposed to live on(/under ?) a montain in Cimmeria (probably covered by snow), not just a simple mound or tumulus. Conan says his name because he is surprised by finding such a fine sword in this excellent state. He says "Crom" earlier too when the sorceress flies away in the form of fire.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyWed 3 Oct - 22:34

It could be Crom, as its left deliberately ambiguous and mystical, its really for the audience to decide. It can be some ancient race of giants(titans?Atlanteans?) or in fact the physical early remains of a god, or both.

Crom comes off as earth deity, associated with Mounds and Mountains throughout the picture. The underlying message of Conan is really Divine Destiny, with Crom loaning Conan his sword to crush the Serpent of the Underworld, or atleast his earthly minions( Thulsa Doom). Also later on we see Valeria realizing that it was Conan's destiny to wield the Sword of Vengeance, or so she thought. Later on find out that Valeria sits by the side of Crom, and possibly she was to be reincarnated.

Neither the "Thing in the Crypt" or Crom, come across as fantastical or evil. Howard's Crom was in fact a cruel and evil deity who delighted in torment. Conan in the books often swore by other gods, like Mitra(whom in Hour of the Dragon ect, Conan has more incommon with and well serves).

Now before anyone gets angry for the cause I said Christianzied up there, Milius was extremely influenced by the Troubadour stories and songs, he in fact opens up his 2nd Draft with one such passage. Also the Aryan god, Mithra, was in fact the official diety of the Roman Empire before Christianity, and many infact think it was combined into the faith and/or that Jesus himself may of belonged to a local cult.

Mithras
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithras
Back to top Go down
Nexus6
Rider of Doom
Nexus6

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyThu 4 Oct - 3:00

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
It could be Crom, as its left deliberately ambiguous and mystical, its really for the audience to decide. It can be some ancient race of giants(titans?Atlanteans?) or in fact the physical early remains of a god, or both.
Although it's only ambiguous if one hasn't listened to the 'Director's commentary' on the DVD (See Protoplasme's link above), Milius directly identifies the remains as that of an "Atlantean General".

Of course the viewer is free to disregard ANY info, in favor of their own ideas... *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyThu 4 Oct - 7:12

Nexus6 wrote:
Although it's only ambiguous if one hasn't listened to the 'Director's commentary' on the DVD (See Protoplasme's link above), Milius directly identifies the remains as that of an "Atlantean General".

Milius says a few things which often didn't add up on that commentary too. So in all honesty, I personally really wouldn't take his word alone, and 20 years later to boot. He also mentioned Thulsa Doom's look as being Atlantean as well if you remember.

Another thing is the Cimmerians were direct descendants of the Atlanteans, which would resonate to any Conan fan immediately.

Kull is supposed to be Conan' forebear and the Oliver Stone script also mentions Kull and his battle against Set many ages before. His script is far more Lovecraftian and Howardian, in terms of fantasy and magical, but it gives excellent insight into Thulsa Doom(also great plausibility as to why he's fighting a Kull nemesis which Howard purist complain about) and Conan's true calling/destiny.

Despite its great size, a friend of mine actually used to think the giant in the cave was King Kull, but I said that giant looked to have reddish hair, whereas Kull's was Black. But think there was some sorta axe laying near the Giant's body though, along with the sword.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Why did the Skeleton move?   The Skeleton EmptySun 14 Oct - 3:29

In the movie, when Conan is cleaning the sword, why did the Skeleton move? I heard in the orginial screenplay, the skeleton was originally going to come alive and take on Conan is single combat.
In the film, all the skeleton does, it's hand moves and then it head drops, the helmet falls off...
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptySun 14 Oct - 5:05

This is not in any known script that I am aware of. Summer/Thomas script I never read, so maybe its there? Dan, whats your source of this, or are you just speculating?
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptySun 14 Oct - 9:45

Maybe because that moment is inspired from "The Thing In The Crypt" written by Sprague de Camp in which the skeleton actually fights to get his sword back ?
Back to top Go down
Nexus6
Rider of Doom
Nexus6

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptySun 14 Oct - 14:54

Chrysagon wrote:
Maybe because that moment is inspired from "The Thing In The Crypt" written by Sprague de Camp in which the skeleton actually fights to get his sword back ?
Yes, ^THIS^.

Dan wrote:
In the movie, when Conan is cleaning the sword, why did the Skeleton move? ...all the skeleton does, it's hand moves and then it head drops, the helmet falls off...
It moved because Conan disturbed it. The "pose" that the skeleton was situated in was precarious. Like a house of cards, touch one at the bottom & the whole thing collapses (that's an extreme example, but it's the same idea).
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyMon 15 Oct - 9:13

Protoplasme wrote:
http://www.conancompletist.com/EN/crypte01.htm

The Skeleton ConA5_06

It looked cool, but you can tell from this picture that it was woefully oversized, that sword is a toothpick and handle way to thin and puny to have been practical for that giant.

In this picture, everything appears more in scale:

The Skeleton Crypt01

http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/D07/conan_D07_230.jpg
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyFri 19 Oct - 23:16

I am reminded of a quote from Homer,

"On the earth there once were giants,"
Greek poet Homer wrote in 400 B.C
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptySat 20 Oct - 0:29

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:

It looked cool, but you can tell from this picture that it was woefully oversized, that sword is a toothpick and handle way to thin and puny to have been practical for that giant.

You don't know the fighting style of the ancient atlantean giants. They could have had a legionary roman fighting style, Probably what for Conan is a two handed sword, for the giant is a one handed one. It's not so small, think about roman or viking swords. They are short and makes dealy stabbing wounds, combined with a shield.

Quote :
The Roman soldiers would march on the enemy in a line with their huge shields and their little swords. If they were able to stay in formation, and it seems like most of the time they were, they could defend themselves and each other from most weapons with the huge shields, and just march over anyone in their path with their quick stabbing attacks to the body or head.

One stance I have seen is of a roman soldier crouched in a low stance and using his sheld to block a downward slash (or perhaps to get under his enemy's guard) and then using the gladius to stab towards the stomach area. I've also read descriptions of the face wounds caused by the gladius, so it was probably also used to stab over the shield. Overall most of the close combat seems to revolve around the scutum (shield) and maintaining their formation.

Sadly there's only one atlantean weapon, and Conan didn't look for other artifacts in the tomb, so we could figure how the atlantean martial arts could have been.

But the general is only a giant compared with modern humans, but in his time, his size was normal. A normal tall man with a short sword.

Razz I'm not sure, just guessing. I'm not an expert in weapons at all.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptySat 20 Oct - 1:06

If that were the case, then it would still be in proportion to the hand that wields it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2005-02-12

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyMon 22 Oct - 14:12

Is it just me or doesn't the sword on this pic looks funny ? scratch

The Skeleton ConanB01_73

I mean, to me it doesn't look exactly like the Atlantean sword we all know and love, does it ?

shifty
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyMon 22 Oct - 14:35

Einar wrote:
Is it just me or doesn't the sword on this pic looks funny ? scratch

The Skeleton ConanB01_73

I mean, to me it doesn't look exactly like the Atlantean sword we all know and love, does it ?

shifty

Yes, I discussed that with MightymcT, when I first showed him that very same pic. We thought it was either some kinda temp/or stuntsword, or alternate early Atlantean.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Anonymous

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: That Pic   The Skeleton EmptyTue 23 Oct - 3:26

I've got that picture of Conan taking the sword form the skeleton in a second-hand book on Arnold Schwarzenegger and all his films from Stay Hungry - Terminator 2.
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2005-02-12

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyTue 23 Oct - 15:08

This is very helpful, Dan ! Mr. Green

I too have this picture on a... Wait a minute, no I don't ! But I have other books with other pics in them... Including Conan pics. But no Jessica Biel ones. Man, wouldn't she be great as Red Sonya ?

Yeahhhh!
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyTue 23 Oct - 16:45

I can play Kalidor!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton EmptyTue 23 Oct - 16:53

Jessica Biel and Ben Stiller for "Something About Red Sonja" 2009. Yeahhhh! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Skeleton Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton   The Skeleton Empty

Back to top Go down

The Skeleton
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next