The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Conan in desert attire??

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Aug - 2:31

Those came from an old Savage Sword comic. Apparently taken from Howard's book "Shadow of the White Wolf", about "El Borak of Arabia" character in publications of the 1970's
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Aug - 2:42

Flaming Turd wrote:
Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
Turd, have you checked his King Arthur concept art?

http://www.chrisachilleos.co.uk/main/film/concept/Kingarthur/kingarthur.html

The Excalibur sword is CONAN reminiscent.

*This 1989 one is interesting too, sorta like the Father's sword :

http://www.chrisachilleos.co.uk/main/gallerie/fantasy/images/broken_sword.jpg

Yes, no doubt the excalibur is an Atlantean Sword, has everything, same hilst design -through different decoration- same ricasso and even has runes in the blade... (By the way, not celtic but VIKING Rolling Eyes )

I guess you already have but take a look at the book covers and you will find amazing artworks there -specially that Almuric one.

The writing shouldve been Latin based, not either of those, besides it wouldve been Briton rather than celtic proper(ie Gaul). Rolling Eyes

But yeah, I spotted the Almuric art, not bad.

Someone made a statue from one of his King Kull covers, surely a gladiator:

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Img3e80faea8b2a4
Back to top Go down
maelstrom
Pit Fighter
maelstrom

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: O.K., so this one's not in desert attire, but it's my newest   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Sep - 4:47

Thanks for all the helpful pics guys, I now have a clearer idea of what I want to do. However, the matter of getting around to doing it may take some time. I have found this site to be a great resource for new ideas. I always love seeing older pieces of Conan art surface that I have never seen before, so feel free to keep em' comin'

It's been a while since I've done any Conan related customs. This is not in any way related to this post, but here's a peek on what I'm just about finished with. I am making a "Marvel Era Conan" from the Toybiz Legendary Comic Book Heroes "Conan & Wraarl" two-pack. This custom has been done several times by several of my colleagues, and I originally wanted to do something totally different than what every else was doing. Eventually, though, I opted to adopt the classic Marvel design based on a combination of several of my favorite artists from the Marvel years, namely Ernie Chan, Pablo Marcos, and especially the late John Buscema. While I am not a fan of "fur diapers" nor the bicep ring that magically stayed in place for all of those years, I decided to go ahead and put them in to represent what I think a "Marvel Legends" action figure should look like. If you are familiar with the Conan figure from the two-pack, you know that they had Çonan in quite a gaudy get-up and I wanted him to look simpler and more "barbaric" of course! My plan is to make several Marvel Era Conans with different outfits and to have interchangeable heads that will swap out (see third pic) I should be finished with this piece in a couple of days or sooner hopefully, pardon the crappy pics, these are just WIPS (works in progress) taken with my cellphone. I will post final pics when I have finished this one. And you can bet that Conan will be a recurrent theme with my customs work!

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 LCBHCONAN4

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 LCBHCONAN3

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 LCBHCONAN6
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/maelstromcustoms/index.htm
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Sep - 10:20

Great as allways.

I prefer your versions very much rather than the original "Conan vs Wraal" figure -didn't like it at all-. Though Wraal looked great. Maybe you could make a custom of Thulsa-Doom whith it? Wink Sure you can find some great pics of Doom with full black snake armor in the site. (If not, simply ask Wink )

Though today I am not a fan of the marvel Conan -even I was as a child and didn'tt like the fuyy underwear not the arm ring either, true it was stupidly useless-. I remember there was an old Rafael Kayanan comic were Conan used the similar ring of his forearm to stop the attack of an enemy's dagger Shocked but really, it was just silly. The Buscema-Chan tandem created an "official uniform" that simply didn't work in realistic terms and that made imo the whole concept unninteresting. What I like about the movie are the different clothes the character wears, they all have a reason and a realistic background. The figure with the helmet I like it; looks great -Mike Docherty based, right?

I liked very much the King Conan with graeco-roman armor you made. I always thought the Pallantides figure was the best one from the Mcfarlane line, I just don't like the furry underwears at all, as long as we are not talking about Cro-Magnons, but I am sure even Cro-Magnons used pants in cold places. There are images, very interesting, about possible Cro-Magnon clothes like this one, that changes the concept and relates them with the style of clothing from the Milius' movie.

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Salinas02hq7

Also in the Iron Age, not wearing any kind of armor -even if it's made of simply leather- is not credible for a warrior.

I wonder, have you ever thought about make customs with historical realistic armors or clothes for Conan? I have a big collection of Angus MacBride historical barbarians paintings: mongols, hunns, magyars, scythians, gauls, gaels, saxons...

My opinion is, the more realistic, the better -and the more true historical based, the better better, and the more prehistorical, the better x3 Mr. Green I think the Conan world is "Fantasy" enough and need to be balanced with realistic themes, reason why the movie works for me, otherwise wouldn't be interesting enough imo.

Another question: have you ever thought about custom FRAZETTA Conan figures?

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Frankfrazettaconanthebutt1

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Frankfrazettafireandicevr0

Postd:

Man, could you get all the pictures I posted? Some of them appear to have been deleted somehow. Happens sometimes in the forum when too many pics are posted, some days they are and some others are not... Confused
Back to top Go down
maelstrom
Pit Fighter
maelstrom

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptyTue 2 Sep - 17:43

Thanks Turd! This may be the one and only Conan custom that I ever do with a fur diaper and the nearly trademarked Marvel golden arm band...however I've learned to never say never, and I may want to do some in different scale sizes in the future. But as of now, I have no immediate plans to do any more. Like I said, this was kind of a homage to the Marvel era that I grew up with, so I pretty much eschewed any serious attempt at realism. When I thought I had outgrew comic books (and toys) and gave away (or threw away) old comic books of other characters, I always kept all of my Conan stuff. And I still have them all to this day! So while I don't particularly like the fur diaper and gold arm band, I sure didn't mind when I was a kid and yanking Conan the Barbarian off of store shelves every time I saw one.
Yes, the Wraarl (Devourer of Souls) included in the two-pack is pretty cool, I doubt that I'll even make any changes to any of the ones I've got. I would love to do Thulsa Doom in several of his various incarnations, he's on my todo list, but I don't know when I will get around to him. I tend to get side-tracked or simply stall out on projects, lately I've been doing some superhero stuff, I haven't posted any of it here of course because they are not Conan related. As far as the helmeted version, I really just kind of threw that together, I'm not sure what Docherty piece you are talking about, but it very possibly could be a subliminal influence....Speaking of Influence, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has had more influence on me than the incomparable Frank Frazetta! Perhaps it doesn't show much in any of my pitiful projects, but he's always there. Without a doubt, Frazetta visually defined Robert E. Howard's Conan! Next to (or even perhaps equal to) Howard's original writings, I always consider Frazetta's Conan series as reference and in my book, they canonized. Personally, I don't feel good enough to even think about emulating Frazetta, but I would love to tackle some of his compositions and customize them some day. I really feel like it would take a lot of actual sculpting, which I am just now cutting my teeth on, so perhaps some day when I've become more adept!
Back to the original topic of this thread...Conan in desert attire, the reason I requested pics is because there seems to be little published artwork (that I've seen at least) with him depicted that way. I think I've been able to see all the pics you've posted (I've downloaded and saved some of them too) So at least I have a direction that I want to go with that custom, but again...who knows when I will get around to it? Thanks again for all the pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/maelstromcustoms/index.htm
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 EmptyWed 3 Sep - 10:47

maelstrom wrote:
So while I don't particularly like the fur diaper and gold arm band, I sure didn't mind when I was a kid and yanking Conan the Barbarian off of store shelves every time I saw one.

As far as the helmeted version, I really just kind of threw that together, I'm not sure what Docherty piece you are talking about, but it very possibly could be a subliminal influence....

Who knows when I will get around to it? Thanks again for all the pics!

I guess I didn't mind either when I was 12 , (I remember I used to think the arm ring HAD to be used for something Laughing ) and the Conan comics were a survival for me, as helped me scaping of a real situation that was really anxious. A very violent school, problems in house, etc etc, the Conan comics took me away of all that really fast and there I could breather for a while and took some strenght to come back to the shit. Later I stopped liking that scapism and I felt I didn't want to scape no more so I rejected continue reading those. Still I remember some comics as jewels like "Red Nails", the Belit's death, the "Iron shadows in the moon", and some other few. Actually I don't really like these comics or REH's material as I feel like they are allways the same retaled tale again and again and again. It's enough just once I guess.

The Docherty i was talking about were so few. He used to draw a helmet just like that really each time he draw Conan... It was a very similar helmet to this Conan but didn't had the furry -though once he draw Conan with the real Battle of the Mounds helmet in a savage sword-.

Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 0034lb1

Well keep us informed about your works Wink a real pleasure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conan in desert attire??   Conan in desert attire?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conan in desert attire??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2