The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Conan on throne - Versions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stepston
Anonymous

Conan on throne - Versions? Empty
PostSubject: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptyFri 8 Apr - 10:32

I remember I saw Conan the Barbarian on TV years ago, and the final shot of Conan on the throne was different than the Dvd releases I've owned.
The shot is the same except there was no text and no voice over, just Conan on the throne, with the drums booming. I think the shot was perfect this way. It seems to lose the mood with the text and voice over.

Does anyone know which version this is?
Back to top Go down
CROM !!!
Pictish Scout
CROM !!!

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptyFri 8 Apr - 20:30

Are you sure you just didn't sit on the tv remote mute button ???
Conan
Back to top Go down
stepstone
Pictish Scout
stepstone

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptyFri 8 Apr - 22:33

CROM !!! wrote:
Are you sure you just didn't sit on the tv remote mute button ???
Conan

I had it recorded on Vhs for years and watched it many times. I remember seeing it with text and voice over for the first time when I bought it on Laserdisc.

I think it was shown on BBC, possibly ITV.

Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptySat 9 Apr - 11:58

Sounds to me you're confusing Conan The Barbarian with Conan The Destroyer's ending.
Back to top Go down
stepstone
Pictish Scout
stepstone

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptySat 9 Apr - 12:23

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
Sounds to me you're confusing Conan The Barbarian with Conan The Destroyer's ending.

It was 100% Barbarian. Had it for years on Vhs, watched it many times. When I bought the Laserdisc I loved seeing the film in widescreen and with extra footage, but the text, and voice over reading what we already see on-screen on the closing shot really dissapointed me, as I was so used to the shot with just Conan sitting on his throne and the booming music.

How does the shot play out in non english regions? Does it play without text? If it did I could use that and do an edit. It bugs me that much.

Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptySat 9 Apr - 23:12

Problem is CTB always also had the text which you claim wasnt there. Other than that, likely you had CTD on on mute or something.
Back to top Go down
stepstone
Pictish Scout
stepstone

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptySun 10 Apr - 23:37

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
Problem is CTB always also had the text which you claim wasnt there. Other than that, likely you had CTD on on mute or something.

Thanks for the reply. But It was definitely the way I described. I must have recorded it off British TV in the late 80's early 90's. It was minus various scenes, like the biting the kneck of the vulture, the princess leading Conan to Thulsa Doom etc. I'm in no doubt at all about the shot as I watched the recording many many times over the years. That's why the scene stood out so much when I eventually bought the film on Laserdisc. Then Vhs eventually died out and Dvd took over and my Vhs collection was largely pushed aside. I still have loads of tapes from way back then, but I think it's probably been recorded over at some time. I still, now and then, throw in an old tape in the hope I'll find the old recording, or at least part of it, but so far I' haven't.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here as this seems to be the place for all things Conan, but it seems nobody else remembers it the way I described. Maybe someone will eventually come along and confirm what I said.

Also, I never watched Destroyer back then, so I couldn't' possibly have confused it with that. I think till this day, I've only seen Destroyer three times or so in it's entirety.

[EDIT] I've just watched an HDTV rip of Conan TB and the scene runs with text scroll but no voice over. So there's obviously differing versions of this shot/scene. I wonder which version the Blu-ray will have?
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptyTue 12 Apr - 1:13

stepstone wrote:

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here as this seems to be the place for all things Conan, but it seems nobody else remembers it the way I described. Maybe someone will eventually come along and confirm what I said.

It's very probable you are right. There are so many versions/editions of movies that not even fans can know everything. To me you sound like you know what you are talking about, specially if you watched that being young and for the first time -that's when the memories impact are stronger-. So I would trust your memory.

Back to top Go down
CROM !!!
Pictish Scout
CROM !!!

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? EmptyTue 12 Apr - 19:13

I'm in the UK too & it's a fact that the 'BBC' often speed the end credits right up so they are un-readable.
...The 'ITV' station has advert breaks during the showing of films.
Both have edited Arnie films before & used expressions dubbed over Arnie's voice when he swears in a film,
example: 'Motherfucker'...becomes...'Mudder-Fugger'.
To be honest,i wouldn't be surprised if Conan has been shown with that ending either.
& remember the actual picture size was different back in the 80's too on the older televisions,
So the picture may have appeared cropped,so that's why the text wouldn't have been seen.

Conan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conan on throne - Versions?   Conan on throne - Versions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Conan on throne - Versions?
Page 1 of 1