The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Empty
PostSubject: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 7 Sep - 15:39

Art by BORIS VALLEJO in 1981.

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Comps-i11

Though Milius or any other never mention Vallejo as inspiration, didn't they?
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 7 Sep - 18:30

It could be yeah, good find in any event. Boris did do some work on the CONAN film, a poster or two. I find much of his work a bit too homo-erotic though for my taste. It looks more like some twisted loving embrace of some kind, or a savage rape, lol. The dates are cutting it a lil too close as well, as it could be vice versa inspiration. This tree is anthropomorphic, the one in the film isnt, but Living trees are common in fantasy since the beginning though. The Tree of Woe or death was a pre-historic tree out in the middle of a desert to torture people.

Here's an old thread of mine which I thought inspired its conception--I was figuring it was some sortave bristlecone pine trees...which are thought to reach an age far greater than that of any other single living organism known, up to nearly 5,000 years.

arrow
https://conancompletist.forumactif.com/conan-the-barbarian-f3/real-life-tree-of-woe-t663.htm

Tree's were also used in real life, and perhaps were the more primitive varient.

Quote :
According to some, the custom of crucifixion in Ancient Rome may have developed out of a primitive custom of arbori suspendere, hanging on an arbor infelix (unfortunate tree) dedicated to the gods of the nether world. William Oldfather, however, wrote a detailed study refuting the idea that this punishment involved any form of hanging or was anything other than flogging to death, and the claim that the "arbor infelix" was dedicated to particular gods.[26] Tertullian mentions a first-century A.D. case in which trees were used for crucifixion,[27] but Seneca the Younger earlier used the phrase infelix lignum (unfortunate wood) for the transom ("patibulum") or the whole cross
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 7 Sep - 18:58

Cromulus The Destroyer wrote:
It could be yeah, good find in any event. Boris did do some work on the CONAN film, a poster or two.

Oh really!? Are there any pics somewhere?

I find much of his work a bit too homo-erotic.

TRUE.

http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=600

Goddamit, even the title is Mr. Green "Fist of Power". LOL

Though he has some amazing art specially during the 60's and 70's, very well done imo. He was influenced by Frazetta and Dali. I think he knows his job. Sadly he turns less and less interesting as he allways do the same things and so. But there was great art there, anyway, and some amazingly erotic paintings of female nudes -I think some of the best female nudes ever in fantasy art. Also I love his Tarzan covers, more than the Conan ones -I don't specially like those-.

Here's an old thread of mine

Sure, I think you're right
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 7 Sep - 19:20

Flaming Turd wrote:
It could be yeah, good find in any event. Boris did do some work on the CONAN film, a poster or two.

Oh really!? Are there any pics somewhere?

They're over in the poster section:

http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/affcouv/aff/aff03.jpg

http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/affcouv/aff/aff14.jpg
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 7 Sep - 22:37

Were any of the Vallejo posters finally used? study In any country?

I found this. Cool

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=155356&GSub=8684

What do you think? Is it real? It does look like a movie poster, as features little scenes besides the main one, something common in movie posters -not in book covers and so-. Also there's clearly some space above for some title. Though Conan could be any actor and Valeria doesn't really looks like Sandahl. There's some kind of horned helmet bad guy (Thulsa-Doom?) with a standart or something. And who is the old dude, looks like a druid or something, and apparently is friend of the heroes. Is the Wizard (Mako?) in early druidic version?

The sword of Conan looks like the Atlantean, not exact to Cobb's design but similar to the other Vallejo poster for the movie.

The Giant Snake/Set/Dragon was later re-used in this painting from 1984:

http://vallejo.ural.net/1983/show.php?010

These other paintings also look similar, and probably re-used the sketch.

1984:

http://vallejo.ural.net/1984/show.php?016

http://vallejo.ural.net/1984/show.php?011

1989:

http://vallejo.ural.net/1989/show.php?003
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 8 Sep - 0:46

That could be from Universal Studios' CONAN show. The Dragon looks kinda like the one used there.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 8 Sep - 1:02

Hm, most probably, yeah. thumleft If i'm not wrong the snake throw fire and also Conan used a shield. What about the other characters, are they also similar to the show ones?
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 8 Sep - 1:33

Probably yeah why not. As they were all dressed in generic fur speedos and boots with typical fantasy broad swords(supposedly made by Jody Samson too) and lots of steroids. rambo
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 8 Sep - 14:30

Yeah, it probably was for the show,

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Conan2jl9

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Universalstudiostouruninr7

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Boris2jo20Conan20Framed

The female barbarianis also closer to the sketch than to Sandahl, at least in her clothes

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Conan4ay5

the "bad guy" is close to the sketch of vallejo, horned helmet and same standart.

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Boris20Vallejo20Conanr20Framed

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Conan3ns7

So, do you know if the real Vallejo poster for the Milius' movie was finally used, in some country?
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 14 Sep - 18:21

Yeah. I got it. The TRUE inspiration for the TREE OF WOE scene.

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Zzzzz-2

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptySun 14 Sep - 20:09

Can you make out the year on this? 1970 right? Wink

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4TupfoQp4SU/Rhlov-6VxzI/AAAAAAAAAj4/w97B0Zc77Kk/Frank+Frazetta+-+Tree+of+Death.jpg

Last edited by Cromulus The Destroyer on Mon 15 Sep - 1:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 0:05

Can't see your pic, man
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 1:06

Try it now.

PS

Is it me or did Boris use the same hero character of Frazetta's?

scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 1:34

Doesn't work either but maybe you talking about this one?

http://www.frazettaartgallery.com/gallery/prints/88_tree_of_death.jpeg

Yes that's 1970.

And yes they look the same though frazetta's one has turn back before the hidden priest started fucking his ass lol
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 1:50

Boris version, looks like he painted his own face on the male. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 2:09

Most probably yeah, could be as he used himself as model. He and his wife (which was fucking hot some years back) were bodybuilders.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe EmptyMon 15 Sep - 2:11

Yeah I remember now, some pics of Boris from the early 90's he had the long hair and surely all Steroided up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe   Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible inspiration for the Tree of Woe
Page 1 of 1