The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Empty
PostSubject: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 9 Sep - 10:29

I tried to get the mood, the lightning and the feel. And there’s a couple of scenes that were absolutely dedicated in the movie to Frazetta. (Millius about Frank).

So I made a research to find wich exact Frazetta art could have been used as inspiration for the movie. This all resulted a littlebit subjective pig but I tried to be as much concrete as I could.

Let's go:

Original opening mountain scene:

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ritmonextra03mp8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ffcolr64qa0

Conan's Mother protecting her son:

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ffcolr12ri8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Conana304ee8

The Witch

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettacatgirlzt9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Cona522pj5

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 11502857sp0

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettasorceressqw0

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettawomanwithavl5

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Cona402yj2

The Snake

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 80698753ik9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 32061772tq2

The Orgy Chamber

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie H2hy4

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie H3frazettaegyptianqueenzx8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 57979878qh6

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 01h4ztronoorgiahh3

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie H5sn7

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 02h6002jp9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 03h6bw006el8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie H7yj7

Kidnapping/Rescuing the Princess:

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettabw014jy1ex2

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 5689832la2ro6

Combat against Rexor and Thorgrim (Orgy Chamber) - "Frazetta - Painting with Fire" documentary, quoted by Millius himself.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 25088072fh6

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 01ru4

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 75ua5

Conan (pre-Battle of the Mounds) - "Conan the barbarian" audiocomentary, quoted by Millius himself.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Screen002uj8qi2

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Qmanfflegacy603thereturcg8

Stakes (Battle of the Mounds)

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frazetta06lm0uo5

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 06rx5

Subotai (Battle of the Mounds)

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Subotaiwatchespb0

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 16267461gv7

Conan (Battle of the Mounds)

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie A1gb7

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettawarriorwr5

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie A3viespecial218clasherrf0

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie A3lj1

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie A4f04tq1

Valeria (Valkyrie)

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Bzyr9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Valeriahs0yg7

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 04fzpe2

Thulsa Doom (Battle of the Mounds)

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Conand07280ru8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Tzxb9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie T37lc8

The poster

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Conanthebarbarianmu3

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettabrakthebarml9

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ffcolr64qa0ya5

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettabloodstonefk7

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettaafightingmvx8

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettaaprincessoaq3

The art of this book appears in the "Conan unchained" documentary when speaking about Frank's inspiration for the movie.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Zzzn21760ei4

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ffcolr35om0

The Barbarian

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Zrsconanadventurerfrontbk7

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Zzusedasaposterforthemoce2

De Laurentiis tried to get Frazetta for the movie but Frank didn’t want to do anything, wich talks about the integrity of a true artist who can’t trust in film business as a good media to expose his work. He was used to do the things in his own and a producer or director who could tell him to do the things “that way” didn’t simply fit with his lonely wolf personality.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 0dinointentandopillarafyx1

Can you blame him for that? No, in fact you can say it was an intelligent and cautious decision. But was Frazetta wrong? It’s true that Milliu’s Hyborian age is not Howard’s but I wonder how could not he like the film, once finished. Well.

German version by Renato Casaro.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Zzzgermanyh8

Apparently Frank was offered the job of painting the movie poster but he answer “No, Dino, thanks” again. But he gave the rights to use “The barbarian” painting to be used as an alternate poster for the film.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Conanthebarbarianver2qy4

Last edited by on Sun 21 Oct - 14:24; edited 22 times in total
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2005-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 9 Sep - 21:16

Very interesting thumleft

But why include the two pics by John Buscema? scratch

Also, some of the Frazetta artwork you used was done after the " Conan " movie, based on the copyright dates seen on the pics, so I guess those ones can't be considered as inspirational...
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 9 Sep - 21:49

Yes, nice.

Ken Kelly also has a lotve nice pieces as well, he studied under Frazetta and worked on alotve of CONAN/R.E. Howard material during the 60's-80's among other fantasy art.

The Hun:
Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie TheHun

http://www.kenkellyart.com/maingallery/maingallery.html
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyMon 10 Sep - 6:54

Which art was painted after the movie? Oh, that's important and i didn't think about it Embarassed

The two Buscema pics I included because... because... the first one is the complete "battle of the mounds" armor including shield and axe, just like in the Frazetta picture. Couldn't find any picture of the real movie with shield and axe.

The snake one, well I thought It fixed well because the image looks very close to the frazetta one.

and because I was drunk when I did this crap, I guess... can't really remember scratch

voui! glad you both liked it. I searched for ken Kelly too, yes, he was a huge student of Frazetta and I think his best work for Howard's stuff was the oldest ones ("Red Nails", "Black Circle", "Skull Head"...). "Chamber of Illusions" and "Roaring Fury" are superb I think. I also like his horror stuff. But it's not even close to Frazetta in talent, but who could be... Rolling Eyes

"The Hun" is nice, looks close to the Millius look. thumleft
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyMon 10 Sep - 14:24

Didn't took time to check the copyright dates, but here is a couple more:

Original opening mountain scene:
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/ffcolr64.jpg
http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/extraphotos/ritmonextra03.jpg

Conan's mother protecting her son:
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/ffcolr12.jpg
http://www.conancompletist.com/img/photos/A3/conanA304.jpg

The Witch:
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/frank_frazetta_catgirl.jpg
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/cg.jpg

Kidnapping/Rescuing the Princess:
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/frank_frazetta_bw_014.jpg
http://frankfrazetta.org/images/frank_frazetta_captiveprincess.jpg
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyMon 10 Sep - 15:42

Damn, photobucket is giving trouble uploading a high resolution of this book cover.

But here's the Wiki image: *Note it has the lion's heads on the arm rests of the throne, just like in the movie.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Conan_the_Liberator

Its Bob Larkin's 1979 painting to Decamp's CONAN THE LIBERATOR novel which was released that year. Its very iconic and precedes the movie's release . See a lotve of influences, wonder if Larken helped out on the movie or vice versa in terms of design influences.

Interestingly that battle axe looks like the one Arnold uses in CONAN THE DESTROYER movie.

Last edited by on Mon 10 Sep - 21:29; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MightyMcT
Admin
MightyMcT

Number of posts : 16130
Registration date : 2004-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyMon 10 Sep - 16:43

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie ConanA312
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyThu 20 Sep - 7:16

I edited the article, adding some pictures that are better adjusted with the original Frank's art. Also added a couple more influences. Mr. Green

And added the influences MightyMcT saw with his more than expert eyes. Thank you man.

I think now it's pretty complete. Do you like it? Rolling Eyes

Good dreams. pig
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyFri 21 Sep - 10:12

I don't see the connection between these two ? scratch shifty

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Moby03eo6

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Qmanfflegacy603thereturcg8
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyFri 21 Sep - 17:28

Yep, Einar, i'll try to explain.

In the dvd audio commentary, Millius quote that image as "Frazetta-like". Not exactly that image, but one that appears one or two seconds before, Conan looking to the distance in the same posture.

I tried to find a Frazetta painting that could have been the inspiration for it, but couldn't really find anything but that one.

I took that one because: there's a warrior looking to the distance, there's the girl -the chained princess, in the movie image- and specially, THE COLORS AND THE LIGHTING.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyFri 21 Sep - 18:13

I see what your saying, Turd. Subotai I think though that image more fits, as he saves the Princess with his bow in his hand.

Milius mentioned how he wanted winged Dinosaurs at some point, I think when he was transforming his mountain man(Half the sky) script into a Conan one. Stone's script featured some sorta winged bat-like vulture thing as well, which attacked at the Cimmerian camp. It was one of Doom's pets.

The Leopard was actually supposed to attack Brak/Rexor in the Orgy chamber, Brak/Rexor was to have battled it a bit and then snap its neck. But that version of Brak/Rexor was more Lou Ferrigno to the T, and who I think shouldve been in the movie.

Queen Taramis also used black panthers in her chamber in CONAN II.

Last edited by on Fri 21 Sep - 19:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyFri 21 Sep - 19:07

Also look at William Stouts work for CONAN II, which is more clearly imitation frazetta; the bodies, weapons, poses and armor:

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frazetta-frank-the-berserker-9901827

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ctd001

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 25088072fh6

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Ctd003
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyFri 21 Sep - 19:20

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frank-frazetta-flesh-eaters

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie ConanB01_86
Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie ConanA912
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySat 22 Sep - 19:26

Shocked I can perfectly see the imitation of Frazetta by Stout for The Destroyer. It's pretty clear and interesting, I didn't thought about it. Also is that stuff you talk about the winged dinosaurs and the panther. It's really interesting viking

But i'm not that sure about the conan figure with the fire in the background. Maybe the composition yeah is very similar, but the characters and attitudes -an even the nature of the fires- have no conection so I think you can't really call that Frank's art "inspiration for the movie". study Ther colours and lighting don't fit either, see, in Frank's art they are iluminated by the tribal fire, as conan lighted parts are no related to the fire of the background, but to some other unknowh light -maybe the moon, maybe some other fire candel.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySat 22 Sep - 20:27

They wanted many Frazettian poses and angles as possible.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 23 Sep - 1:56

Actualized again Rolling Eyes

Thanks to MightyMct and Cromulus fot the influence in Casaros'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. This is the real image that Millius quotes as "Frank Frazetta like". I think he is saying that has a Frazetta "feeling" much more than saying it is directly inspired by a concrete artwork.

Anyway I have to post some artwork in order to illustrate the reference so we have 3 choices, and I ask you people to vote Wink

Those 3 are the ones I have found more related to the image, wich one would you choose?

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Screen002uj8qi2

Number 1:

Similar composition, similar angle of the first character, similar scenary. This is my personal choice but there's a problem: he is about to fight, not relaxed-meditative. And I think that attitude would be important.

Number 2:

He is relaxed, watching, not about to fight like in the first one. He is meditative, thinking, like in the movie image. But obviously the composition and background is not related at all.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettabwkublaikhyy6

Number 3:

Here he is looking to the distance, we see his back. He is relaxed, watching, not about to fight like in the first one.

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frankfrazettatarzanandtgk0

rabbit i'm listening to you
Back to top Go down
Einar
Turanian War Officer
Einar

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 23 Sep - 12:18

My vote: the first one (cause of the nekkid girl! pig Razz ) but I still don't see the connection, sorry... For what it's worth, I don't even see it in the screenshot that protoplasme made! Milius must have been on crack when he said that... I don't think Frazetta was that much into thinking men sitting on rocks: see, yourself, you had troubles finding a pic that matched the thinking Conan from the movie... The main inspiration for this shot was Rodin's The Thinker (Le Penseur), and that's about it!

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie 5C240025-paris-penseur-musee-rodin
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptySun 23 Sep - 23:24

Lol

Mr. Green

Sure he was high

Cromulus, where did you get that info about the winged dinosaurs? Because I think that could really be a huge Frazetta influence and should be listed.
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie EmptyWed 2 Jan - 2:56

This picture, reminds me of the Vanir raid on the Cimmerians. Also the beams of light seen through the trees in the movie.
Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Frazetta010dr6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie   Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie Empty

Back to top Go down

Frank Frazetta art that was inspiration for the movie
Page 1 of 1