The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Empty
PostSubject: The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?   The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? EmptyMon 10 Dec - 13:41

I always wondered, if in the movie, the blade of the Atlantean was made outve Adamantine /Adamantium.

And no, I am not not talking the "star metal" from that kids CONAN THE ADVENTURER cartoon.. Laughing

This fantasy metal is often used in the Marvel comics universe, made famous by Wolverine's claws and skeleton. However this metal, is not the sole invention of Marvel comics. "Adamantine" was used in the ancient world, least mythology, as it was some unbreakable or god-like metal of the gods. Hephaestus/Vulcan crafted such objects made of Adamantine for the rest of the Gods and often Heroes

Virgil describes Tartarus as having a screeching gate protected by columns of solid adamantine (Aeneid book VI).

Hephaestus's symbols are a smith's hammer, an anvil and a pair of tongs. Sometimes he holds an axe.

We are also reminded in the script, Milius' first description of the Conan's father was:

Quote :
"A huge man, bearded, primordial, like Vulcan himself, pounds down into the flames with a hammer. The blow strikes a glowing anvil, and bolts of magma are flung into the darkness with a clear and resounding ring."

One must also remember perhaps the greatest use of such Adamantine metal, from the hero Perseus:

Quote :
"Hermes gave him an adamantine curved sword."

There's a few reasons why I suspect the Atlantean blade of the crypt, for one the sword doesn't rust for apparently thousands of years. It didnt have to be sharpened to cut through Conan's thick iron shackles, which it did with an easy stroke of the blade. it triumphed over a man made object when it cut through the Father's masterful sword of steel. Also the end of CONAN was very much like Perseus' victory over the Gorgan, Medusa. Thulsa Doom was surely a Medusa-like figure, even had her gaise, which can turn people to stone, though in Doom's case, it wasnt literal.

Conan's journey is very much a Classical Heroic Devine one, he is given help from the gods, the great wind which forces Red Hair to free Conan/or the Earthquake death and escape, the wolves chasing Conan towards the Atlantean burial where he stumbles into the cave and finds the miraculous sword, the wolf Witch, bumping into Akiro, and Valeria's return from the grave.

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Perseus_medusa
The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Perseus_1
The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Perseusyo8

The only real problems perhaps with this theory, was that Conan used some kinda stone to sharpen the blade before the attack on Doom's chamber..but this can be symbolic, visual effect, or perhaps just an angry concentrated Conan. Again Conan didnt sharpen the blade or did it rust when he first got it. Conan descided to use his Father's sword to finish off Thulsa Doom yes, but he also caried with him the Atlantean, which got Conan through his entire quest to slay Thulsa Doom and defeat Set's eventual return to Power in the Hyborian Lands and save the beautful princess Yasmina..whom very much in many ways mimiced Princess Andromeda.

Yasmina has some Andromeda qualities.
The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? TheodoreChasseriau-AndromedaChainedtotheRockbytheNereids-1840Large

PS

Also looking at those Swords from the statues, and the almost curved effect of the broken father's sword...I am again suspecting influences. Conan
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?   The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? EmptyMon 10 Dec - 16:35

It also seems that Marvel did indeed use this Ancient Mythogical metal:

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Kratosbia1xb4

Quote :
Kratos and Bia followed the edict of Zeus by forcibly returning Typhon back to the underworld.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/kratosbia.htm

Pretty similiar sword too, if you ask me...scratch

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Conand07313hp0
Wink
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

PostSubject: Re: The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?   The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? EmptyMon 10 Dec - 19:43

The Ilyad also mention another metal : Orichalcum ("Orichalque" for the french readers) which name was later used for brass.

I confirm, by having worked on celt sword from 1st century BC that the "clean" metal under the corroded surface, never matches the original blade. Rust formed on iron or steel "eats" the metal, creating some kind of bubbles (very long to clean using a sand machine).

As we are in a technical part, lets also note that steel was never melted into a cast as we can see in the introduction of CTB. Doing such would create "cast iron" ("fonte" in french) an easily breakable alloy containing too much carbon and not enough iron. Steel was obtained after a long process of hammering until late middle-ages because it needed to reach some higher temperatures unable to obtain in a standard forge.
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?   The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? EmptyMon 10 Dec - 19:52

The quenching of the red hot sword in the ice cool snow, also could never occur of course. I wonder what trick method they used to pull that off, as I dont think they ever discussed that special effect or whatever it was.

This statue of Andromeda from Rodin, I think also reminds me of the bowing Yamsina seen at the Mountain of Power Temple at the end of the movie.

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Rodin-Andromeda

Very submissive quality!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?   The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Atlantean Sword.. made out've Adamantium?
Page 1 of 1