The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan

Go down 
+2
maelstrom
Einardiño
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Einardiño
Pit Fighter
Einardiño

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan Empty
PostSubject: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyWed 3 Sep - 21:09

I found that interesting discussion about this topic on the Frazetta & Fantasy Art Forum :

http://jandjcyberauctions.com/frazettaforum/viewtopic.php?t=711&sid=e7b1e10272ee7e1fdd06b0deaf70d206

Quote :
When the first movie got the green light (from producer Dino de Laurentiis and director John Milius), Frank was offered the job of production designer--which he turned down. They also offered him the commission to do the movie poster, which he also declined. By that time, Frazetta didn't want to do film work (unless it was his film), wasn't interested in doing Conan art (since he had taken a lot of BS from the people controlling the character), and didn't want to work for De Laurentiis after several previous experiences with King Kong and Orca. He did license "The Barbarian" for use as an overseas "teaser" poster for Conan the Barbarian, but that was it. Those turn up on ebay every so often. (Bill Stout and Ron Cobb were production designers for the movie.)

Quote :
The problem was that De Laurentiis wooed Frank, then turned a deaf ear to his ideas. Ace was Frank's client, so he was happy to do the Kong covers for them, but Dino wanted to tell him precisely what to do for a movie poster...and Frank simply didn't work that way. When the same thing started to happen with ORCA, Fritz walked and never looked back. ("Do whatever you want, Frank...except for this. Or that. Or that. Or...hey, where are you going?!?")

Apparently, the one to blame is Dino again. When in doubt, just blame Dino ! Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
maelstrom
Pit Fighter
maelstrom

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyWed 3 Sep - 23:39

Everything I have ever heard or read about Dino indicates that he is first and foremost a business man. Every project he has had a hand in has been geared to the widest demographic and his interests in a project probably never exceeded his will to exploit material solely to make as much money as possible. Granted, he achieved what he set out to do. Aside from that, I consider many of his projects (no matter how flawed or mutated from original source material) to be fantastic films...Conan the Barbarian is my all-time favorite of course.

Last edited by maelstrom on Thu 4 Sep - 5:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/maelstromcustoms/index.htm
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 0:50

It really depends on the source. Others stated that Frazetta wanted a fortune for a small amount of work. Dont forget, they all have big wallets and egos.

Am a bit surprised neither Cobb or Stout were interviewed for "Painting with Fire", since they were huge fans, especially Stout. Does anybody happen to know how to get the trailer's soundtrack? It had a good theme.
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 7:51

If I recall Stout appears in Painting with Fire.
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 10:18

Yeah, Stout was in that documentary.
Back to top Go down
conan_collector
Pit Fighter
conan_collector

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 10:24

foufou A pity that you can not become a member there when you have Hotmail ...
Back to top Go down
Chrysagon
Vanir
Chrysagon

Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2005-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 10:32

conan_collector wrote:

??? What do you mean ???
Back to top Go down
http://chrysagon.free.fr
conan_collector
Pit Fighter
conan_collector

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 19:05

Chrysagon wrote:
conan_collector wrote:

??? What do you mean ???

Laughing When I try to sign me, I get up a sign that my email is banned, I have tried with different mail account but it is the same thing all the time ..

On Frazetta board, not on this....
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan EmptyThu 4 Sep - 19:56

Chrysagon wrote:
If I recall Stout appears in Painting with Fire.

Ah, did he?! I must've forgotten, but its been over 2 years since I had last viewed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan   Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Frazetta didn't work on Conan
Page 1 of 1