The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

Number of posts : 4225
Registration date : 2007-08-28

Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy Empty
PostSubject: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptySat 12 Sep - 2:55

On 2007, Pixar Confirmed John Carter of Mars Trilogy:

Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy 04317e48575811

Posted on Sunday, October 7th, 2007 at 8:41 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Quote :
The guys at Pixar have apparently made a trip to Edgar Rice Burroughs archives, doing research for a trilogy of John Carter of Mars films. That’s right, they are planning not one, but three films based on Burroughs work. In attendance for the trip: director Andrew Stanton, the director, Mark Andrews, screenwriter and producer of Wall-E / Pixar executive Jim Morris. So it appears that is the creative team on John Carter.

The Pixar team also confirmed to EBZine that the first John Carter film would hit theaters before 2012 (presumably because the world is supposed to end in 2012, or maybe there was just an opening on the schedule, which is probably more likely).

2011-2012: Which leaves John Carter of Mars and possibly Brad Bird’s adaptation of 1906 (unannounced).

A Princess of Mars was first published in 1917. The movie will follow Civil War vet John Carter, who is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptyFri 2 Oct - 3:10

Some actors:

Taylor Kitsch (JOHN CARTER)

Willem Dafoe (OH YEAH)

James Purefoy (SOLOMON KANE's actor)

Lynn Collins

Dominic West

Polly Walker

Samantha Morton

Mark Strong

Thomas Haden Church

Last edited by Flaming Turd on Sat 24 Oct - 19:22; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptyThu 15 Oct - 14:34

In 2008 PIXAR confirmed the movie is written:

http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/exclusive-andrew-stanton-confirms-john.html

Actually I am UNSURE if it's gonna be classic animation, 3D animation or live action... scratch

Plus, the authors say they are not going to follow Frazetta's art (they say it's dated and doesn't work anymore) Shocked . Which kind of dissapoints me, because I was imagining some kind of Pixar animated movie giving life to Frazetta's designs. Now THAT would be something I would love to watch. Well.

All details here:

http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/more-details-about-john-carter-of-mars-from-wall-es-creator.php
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptySat 24 Oct - 19:34

Some concept art by DAVID KRENTZ (who is also a very good paleoartist):

http://web.mac.com/dkrentz1/davidkrentz/Live-Action.html

(All the artwork that is there was made for two earlier -and now defunct- versions of the film. Still he is actually working on the Pixar one though he can't show that works in the site because of legal issues).

Storyboards by Krentz (click on the story to see the next one):

http://web.mac.com/dkrentz1/davidkrentz/StoryBoards.html#20
Back to top Go down
Cromulus The Destroyer
Vanir
Cromulus The Destroyer

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptySat 24 Oct - 19:55

Quote :
During the late 1950s, Ray Harryhausen expressed interest in filming the novels, but it was not until the 1980s that producers Mario Kassar and Andrew G. Vajna bought the rights for Walt Disney Pictures with a view to creating a competitor to Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio were hired to write, while John McTiernan and Tom Cruise were approached to direct and star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars_%28film%29

Seems McTiernan's name is always somehow related to CONAN ,lol.

The Elliott/Rossio script would be an interesting read, if they ever wrote one.
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptySat 24 Oct - 21:13

Tom Cruise???

For real??? Laughing He would have looked anything but a tough guy, look at the "Legend" movie, c'mon
Back to top Go down
Nikolaus38
Pictish Scout
Nikolaus38

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptyMon 26 Oct - 23:35

Oh i think this will be a great movie.

Can't wait to see it.

But i never read the books. Confused
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptyTue 27 Oct - 0:33

If you want to, you can find them easily online (the texts are of public domain, just like Robert Howard's -least in the UK-).

http://manybooks.net/pages/burroughseetext93pmars13/0.html

If you don't want to read them online, i'm sure you can find pretty cheap editions in any bookstore.

There was also a comic book series adapting the books,by marvel on the 70's -and Dark Horse had another recent one, I think... study -

If you like it maybe you would also like this novel, ALMURIC by Robert E. howard. It's actually an imitation of the John Carter's stories of Burroughs made by the author of Conan. It's about a normal human terraquean who is transported to an alien planet and there he becomes a Conan-like warrior. Also, in that planet, men are all ugly and apeshitty and the women are all extremely hot. Mr. Green Razz

http://manybooks.net/pages/howardrother07Almuric/0.html
Back to top Go down
Flaming Turd
Vanir
Flaming Turd

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy EmptySun 8 Nov - 8:38

http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/10312.htm/

Quote :
The look of the film will be “very real,” and not highly-stylized, due to what Stanton sees as the way the original story has been ripped off by many different movies over the years; it’ll also be a faithful retelling, with Carter remaining the Civil War soldier that he was in Burroughs’ original. Again, despite what many have been saying, the film will be both live action and not shot in 3-D (although he feels that Disney may end up disagreeing with him on that latter point), and he’s suitably daunted by the prospect of live action directing, commenting that, “It is huge, it is exciting, it scares the crap out of me. It’s either going to make me or break me.”

Today, filmakers like very much to say they are going to be faithful with the original literary sources. rabbit What a bunch of dirty motherfucking liars. voui!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy   Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy Empty

Back to top Go down

Pixar to do "John Carter of Mars" Trilogy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: