The Conan Completist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zogar Sag
Pictish Scout
Zogar Sag

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-07-20

BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS Empty
PostSubject: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptyFri 20 Jul - 10:46

Hello

brand new to this forum, although I have benn looking in now and again. I am going round and round in circles wondering which Conan sword to buy and where to get it. I have pretty much decided on the Windlass/Museum replicas Atlantean sword (although I prefer the Marto hilt as it is darker), but now I am wondering where to buy it from a reliable source as I live in the UK.

Battleorders no longer stock the Marto, and don't carry the Windlass, and to buy from the USA will attract a huge import tax Evil or Very Mad

I have been in contact with Arms of the World in Spain who seem quite cheap (alarm bells) and also span me some cock and bull story about the Museum Replicas sword being made by Marto, not in India.

Any suggestions on where I can get a Marto or Windlass Atlantean here in England would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
vzd963
Rider of Doom
vzd963

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySat 21 Jul - 20:10

I got the Marto a couple of years ago and it's really good - looks fab and it's heavy - but I'm sorry to say I got it from Battle Orders.

Trying to bring one in from outside the UK might not actually be a huge problem I've been buying 1960s cowboy pistols on Ebay - they've been coming in from America, and as long as they're marked "child's toyl" or something, none of them have been stopped. Royal Mail guidelines for what you can import (http://www.royalmail.com/despatch-inward-mail-services/hints-and-tips/restricted-goods) say, "Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients", and "Weapons and ammunition Weapons: Sporting firearms and most ammunition can be admitted into the United Kingdom conditionally as imported goods. All these articles are subject to domestic controls on possession of the firearms and import licensing requirements for imports into the United Kingdom. Replica and inert explosive devices and military ordnance, including inert grenades, inert shells and similar items are not permitted for either import or export, and if posted within the UK will be subject to closer scrutiny which will cause delay".

So my experience is:
- Foreign countries don't care what they export, only what they import.
- Get your supplier to identify your sword on the customs form as a "metal wall decoration" or something, because it ISN'T areal sword, it isn't sharp and it can't be used, so that's perfectly honest..
- Remember that anything worth over £50 or so will incur a customs charge when it gets to this country - you can pay it online and they'll deliver it next day.
-It's well worth looking at LOTS of sites for the cheapest swords - some prices are really silly, but some are not bad.

BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS Conansword1copyrz8
By rogermitchell at 2009-02-15
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-03-11

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySat 21 Jul - 21:25

I used to have a Marto Father's sword for a short time before i bought my custom which was an import from Australia and it did have a hefty import charge. Sadly Marto no longer has licence to make the Conan swords so unless you can find someone with back stock or 2nd hand you may have to go for a Windlass. You can try the KnightShop in north wales who are a UK supplier of Windlass Steelcrafts swords but as far as i know they still do not have them in stock. I contacted them around Christmas about them as i wanted to travel up and take a look at them first hand. They said they would be getting them but not sure when. It would be worth your while emailing them as the more interest shown the more chance they'll stock them. Here is the link. http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/?osCsid=fa696e955e301143bef3ab8f381d8297

Or there is this shop Tera-asekskus which is in Europe and i believe still have some Marto stock. http://www.teraasekeskus.com/tuotteet.asp?osasto=fantasia&ID=2446

Hope this helps you.
Back to top Go down
Zogar Sag
Pictish Scout
Zogar Sag

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySat 21 Jul - 22:05

Thanks, that is really helpful. I am still dithering on which one to try and get , Marto or Windlass (perhaps both Laughing). As far as I tell from reading countless reviews, the Windlass is probably the better sword (by a narrow margin) not having a stainless steel blade, and also the blade doesn't have the makers mark on it, which the Marto ones does (I would grind that off). However I prefer the duller hilt by a long shot, and in fact it was your sword pics. vzd963, that set me off on this quest in the first place after doing an image search and coming up with those cool winter shots at Chepstow (not a million miles from my pad). The Windlass hilt is just too brassy.

The long term plan is to break whichever sword I buy down, recast the hilt furniture in bronze and generally age the blade by applying mustard to bring out the grain in the metal (which won't work with the Marto one), and then get a mate to make the scabbard. After that I will sit and gloat at it pretending I have an Albion for a fraction of the cost. The Fathers sword then beckons....

I suspect The Knight Shop will get the Windlass ones in eventually, it's just the waiting that hurts.
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySat 21 Jul - 22:21

Well then if the plan is to take it apart and have some bronze fittings made it really makes no difference the tone of the metal on the existing parts. The Windlass will be easier to take apart. The pommel is hollow and is just pushed on then the cheap metal grip (also hallow) is held in place by a nut which you can just unscrew. Not sure the mustard on a carbon steel blade is a good idea though.

The bronze may be costy too. My FableBlades made Father's sword is all solid bronze and carbon steel but the fittings were made from scratch no recasts.
Back to top Go down
Zogar Sag
Pictish Scout
Zogar Sag

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySat 28 Jul - 19:26

Just thought I would let you know I managed to get an Atlantean from Tera-asekskus in Finland, so thanks Niall for that tip , much appreciated. The owner, Sami, was really helpful and the sword came within 4 days, which was amazing service. I was really pleased with it and it is much better quality than I thought it would be, with that nice dull bronze finish on the hilt rather than the brassy looking Windlass version. To celebrate, I then treated myself to the Fathers sword from Battle Orders Laughing a 4 year belated 40th birthday pressie to myself.

As soon as I get the scabbards sorted I will post some pictures. Thanks again chaps.
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySun 29 Jul - 17:09

Hey Zogar Sag thanks for letting me know and i am so glad i could help you out with it. I used to have the Marto Father's and it was a nicely made sword for a wallhanger. Nice weight and balance. Glad you got both.=) I am hoping to add a custom Atlantean to my collection in the not so distant future. Yeah post pics mate. I never tire of seeing them. Conan
Back to top Go down
dixie.valdez01
Pictish Scout
dixie.valdez01

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-02-25

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptyTue 11 Nov - 9:46

Zogar Sag wrote:
Hello

brand new to this forum, although I have benn looking in now and again. I am going round and round in circles wondering which Conan sword to buy and where to get it. I have pretty much decided on the Windlass/Museum replicas Atlantean sword (although I prefer the Marto hilt as it is darker), but now I am wondering where to buy it from a reliable source as I live in the UK.

Battleorders no longer stock the Marto, and don't carry the Windlass, and to buy from the USA will attract a huge import tax Evil or Very Mad

I have been in contact with Arms of the World in Spain who seem quite cheap (alarm bells) and also span me some cock and bull story about the Museum Replicas sword being made by Marto, not in India.

Any suggestions on where I can get a Marto or Windlass Atlantean here in England would be appreciated.

Both the manufacturers are good in preparing licensed Atlantean sword. According to the photos of Windlass one, they look good. Since Windlass aka Museum Replicas deals with actual real medieval swords used in combat hence they can produce exact good replicas of it.
Back to top Go down
Aiyana
Pictish Scout
Aiyana

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-26

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptySun 28 Dec - 20:48

Hi,

I am a french former conan enthousiast and I made this last summer a french forum page about marto replicas I own : atlantean sword, father swoar and the snake fangs.

https://conancompletist.forumactif.com/t2343-petit-reportage-photo-sur-les-repliques-marto

I would like sell the swords but I don't know if I have the "Epic" or the "Special Edition". So could you tell me what kind of replicas I have and what are the average prices of them ?

Have a good day !

Aiyana
Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptyTue 30 Dec - 14:48

Hi Aiyana, Firstly let me congratulate you on those beautiful swords. Sad you wish to sell them but we do what we do. Ok so to answer you questions Marto made two versions of the main swords the Atlantean and Father's sword. The standard which had alloy fittings and came in a cardboard box and then they did the special editions which were made with beautiful solid bronze fittings and came in a crafted wooden box. You i am glad to say have the special editions. These were made in a limited quantity and as Marto don't make them anymore are something worth having and sought after. Even the standard editions are sought after now so you have some nice items. If it were me i would not sell them as they will increase in value as years go by. However if you are selling them i would be looking for something between £800 to £1000 pounds each. Not sure what that is in Euros. I certainly would not sell them for anything below 550/600 British pounds/euro equivalent value.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Nial on Fri 9 Jan - 16:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aiyana
Pictish Scout
Aiyana

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-26

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptyFri 9 Jan - 13:26

Hi Nial,

Many Cromly thanks for your insight ! It helps me a lot !

I think I will sell the father sword and the snake fangs in a bundle first, fangs will be almost free... Perhaps I will keep the atlantean sword...

Do you know somebody interested ? (knowing that the swords are in the fabled very remote distant land of France).

Have a good day and a happy new year !

Aiyana

Back to top Go down
Nial
Pit Fighter
Nial

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS EmptyFri 9 Jan - 17:16

Glad i could help you my friend. Off the top of my head i don't know of anyone but if i do here i will message you. Maybe think about making a for sale thread here on both the English and French sides? You are making a wise move to keep the Atlantean. It is a beautiful investment. I have a custom Atlantean,functional well as it can be for the weight or i would have bought it. Good luck my friend. I think you will find a buyer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS   BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS Empty

Back to top Go down

BEST PLACE TO BUY CONAN SWORDS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Conan Completist Forum :: English Board :: Conan the Barbarian-
Jump to: